Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,967   Online: 1179

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have dealt with KEH for years and have dozens of camera items. I almost always buy BGN because they are in great user shape. Never had a problem plus if I didn't like it, returns with 100% refunds has always been smooth.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    They test the equipment to see if it works, but they do not to a complex check out of the equipment. If it does not work, they will take it back and refund the money or replace it.
    That's sort of accurate. You get to be their fine QA. And I've had far too many items from them arrive DOA to agree with what you say; it's a matter of convenience to them. If they happen to have a battery they'll test it, if not, well, it looks good, it powers on, let's not spend any time on it and see it it works by having someone buy it. That's the only explanation I have for the Nikon N60 I got from them that simply didn't work. I have also had them refuse to refund shipping cost back to them. These are valid and true experiences I have had. Whether folks choose to believe them, well, that I can't control.

Someone asked who else? Well, B&H and Adorama both sell used gear. I've never had a problem with them. Look at eBay for used gear. While there used to be horror stories about eBay, they've changed, and now back the buyer 100%. I have had sellers on ebay get all rude when I asked to return a defective item, one guy even tried to respond with "You bought it. No refunds" because although I was fully willing to send it back, I wanted shipping fees refunded too, both ways. That's only fair when you misrepresent an item (in my mind anyway), and he did. Well, ebay refunded everything, including shipping, and I ended up throwing the item away.

I don't mind getting junk. I mind having to pay a single penny for it.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...But do you have another mail order used camera store better than KEH?
    Shop around.
    There are the used departments at Adorama and B&H.
    Besides KEH, other re-sellers of used equipment that I've had good luck with:

Pacific Rim Cameras
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/

Kenmore Cameras
    http://www.kenmorecamera.com/

Blue Moon Camera & Machine
    http://www.bluemooncamera.com/

Midwest Photo Exchange
    http://mpex.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    I think this is very unfair, dude. I've been dealing with KEH for more than 20 years and the only time I was disappointed was when I bought an "UG" lens shade for a Rollei and it was worse than UG, it was junk, but I didn't send it back because I'm lazy and they do warn you that the stuff is pretty beat up in that category.

Other than that, everything I've bought from them is in better shape than what their description would lead you to believe. Their prices are fair. If used equipment occasionally has issues, well, welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical objects of any sort. If something's not perfect, you deal with it or you accept it, but you don't expect a dealer in used mechanical objects to always find every flaw in advance. That's unrealistic.
    +1. I have been a KEH customer since October 1981 (when I lived in Atlanta) and I, too, will attest that I have often found the company stingy on their ratings: most of what I have purchased (Nikon, Leica and Hasselblad cameras and lenses) has been in far better shape than the ratings have indicated (see a recent post I put up re a pair of "As-Is" chrome F2 bodies). I have yet - after 31 years of dealing with these folks - to EVER have had an issue with any item I have purchased. I am confident enough in the integrity of this company, and the knowledge and competence of the folks that Mr Grant employs, that not only will I continue dealing with KEH for the next 31 years (despite the fact that I now live some 6000km away on the west coast of Canada), I will continue to recommend unequivocally the company to others.
    Insofar as functional issues go, KEH is selling - for the most part - used mechanical and electronic objects which have - by any reasonable admission - finite lives (dependent, for the most part, on their prior treatment); to expect KEH, or, indeed, any other seller to have full knowledge of the products they sell is wholly unreasonable. Despite the best of intentions, the volume of product and the manifold manner in which these items can fail will always result in a few "bad apples" slipping through. We analog types have to accept the fact that most of the equipment we will use in the future will come to us with some history (i.e. most of what we will buy through the used market). Ya plays da game, ya take ya chances...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I'm sick and tired of folks bad-mouthing KEH.

You're buying used gear because you're too damned cheap to buy new gear.

IT'S USED GEAR.

KEH is a business. How much time can they expend checking something they sell for under $10?

They have excellent company policies regarding refunds and repair. Better than any other company I've dealt with.

If you don't like it, buy new.

- Leigh
    this. the only people complaining about the removal of as-is are the brokedicks buying as-is and hoping for the arrival of something EX. it's basically a crapshoot. Kind of like craigslist but you can't check it out in person.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I'm sick and tired of folks bad-mouthing KEH.

IT'S USED GEAR.

KEH is a business. How much time can they expend checking something they sell for under $10?

They have excellent company policies regarding refunds and repair. Better than any other company I've dealt with.

If you don't like it, buy new.

- Leigh
    While I sort-of agree that people are often unfair to KEH, the assertion that people are too cheap to buy new is unfair in today's market. Most of what we are buying is simply not available new, at any price.

I bought a Pentax LX from KEH, in EX or EX- (forget, could check.) It had a tiny bit of covering lifting at the corner that I had to glue back in a few months but was otherwise as described. I think I paid around $360 for it; they've gone up since then. I already had K mount lenses. What new, pro grade, film camera would you suggest I buy to use with my manual focus K mount lenses? There are a few, knock offs of K1000 type cameras, but there is NOTHING remotely like the quality and capability of the LX available new in K mount.

Now if it were available new it would probably cost $2000 or so. In that case, yeah, I'd have still bought the used one. I don't think that makes me cheap. I think that makes me "not totally stupid and not having a a business use to write off and depreciate the purchase on taxes."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think he was writing about you, Roger. He seems to be commenting on people who buy used gear with the absolute expectation that it is in new and fully functioning condition no matter what condition it was described as... and then complain publically like they've been unreasonably or unfairly wronged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I don't think he was writing about you, Roger. He seems to be commenting on people who buy used gear with the absolute expectation that it is in new and fully functioning condition no matter what condition it was described as... and then complain publically like they've been unreasonably or unfairly wronged.
    I know he's not talking about me personally. But what he said doesn't mesh with your interpretation.

He didn't say "you're buying UG and As-Is gear because you're too damned cheap to buy EX or LN gear."

With the exception of the poster upset that they wouldn't credit him back $2 for something that was shipped to Europe, I don't really see that. Most people who have bought UG or As-Is seem to be mostly happy and upset the As-Is might be going away, and those who have gotten truly ugly or parts only stuff have shrugged it off saying, basically, "I rolled those dice and they didn't come up for me this time."

I have my own, admittedly minor, beef with KEH (I still buy from them, and will again.) When I bought my LX, since I'm in the Atlanta area I asked about just going over to pick it up. They said I could but there would be a $5 fee for, I forget what they called it but essentially a "someone goes and gets what you want and brings it to the counter" fee. Some sort of pick up fee I think it was called. Well, I live in the area but on the opposite side of the metro. It's an hour drive over there, each way. By the time I paid for gas even for my car that gets 30-34 mpg, both ways, and this stupid $5 junk fee, it was cheaper to just ship it FedEx. And for that matter, considering I'd have had to wait a couple of days to get over there to get it, it was just as quick too. I was just trying to save the shipping.

I mean, really, you're going to charge me $5 to go get what I've already told you I'm buying? When you DON'T charge me that to box it up and ship it FedEx? Well I'm sure they do - it's built into their shipping and handling costs, most likely, so it's just a way of adding the same handling charge.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 02-24-2012 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sigh.

I didn't read it quite as literally as you did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I hate junk fees too. They are stupid, greedy and disrespectful of customers.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin