Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,272   Posts: 1,660,792   Online: 1081

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    However in specific cases where it's obvious its keh's fault then yes I believe they should cover it.
    I recently returned to KEH a lens that I felt had been seriously over-graded. When I called to request a return authorization the person who answered the phone asked what my concern was and listened sympathetically. After hearing the details, he said immediately - without my asking for it - that they would pay for the return shipping.

So on the one hand I was annoyed that they had wasted my time and energy with a mis-described item, but on the other, their response when I called was all one could hope for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    @BrianShaw: Read the above before bigmouthing with your two dollars.
    ... so you are declining my offer, I assume. Oh well. It was just an offer. No "bigmouthing" involved. Enjoy your misery, pal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    However in specific cases where it's obvious its keh's fault then yes I believe they should cover it.
    They do.

I recently returned a Sinar camera case for a 5x7 camera, which was not described as such when I bought it.

They paid for the return shipment, and refunded my entire purchase cost including shipping.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    The heart of the problem is not your people, it is that there is no standard for used camera grades.
    [I'm expanding on fstop's comment about Adorama.]
    I agree that there's no objective basis for grading of used gear at Adorama (Helen... if you're listening).

Case in point:

On January 22 I ordered a used Elinchrom 500 monolight described as F condition ("Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact details.")

When received, the unit had obviously been disassembled.
    All of the cover screws were missing; the covers were held in place with nylon tie-wraps.
    One of the slide controls is completely gone. I haven't looked inside to see what other parts might be missing.

This should have been rated X ("Sold for parts only") or should never have been sold at all.

- Leigh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ado_BadElinchrom.jpg  
    Last edited by Leigh B; 03-01-2012 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leigh, did Adorama describe any of this or give any hint in their comments?

"Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact details."
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It said something like "Blows fuses" IIRC.

Unfortunately there's no way to access the original description... Another shortcoming on Adorama, but not unique to them.

- Leigh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    It said something like "Blows fuses" IIRC.

Unfortunately there's no way to access the original description... Another shortcoming on Adorama, but not unique to them.

- Leigh
    The description is no longer available on the website because the product has been sold, but if you would like me to pull up the cached copy of the description I will do what I can, but you need to email me with more information so I can ID your order.

If you feel that you would like to keep a record of any used Adorama listing in the future, it might be useful to take a screenshot before completing your purchase.

If you are unhappy with the item, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked.

In terms of grading consistency; we receive hundreds of used items into the inventory every single day - and have over 25,000 used items in the warehouse at any given time. This requires a team of people to assess and grade each item, and each one is graded independently by 2 different members of staff in an attempt to offer consistency.

If you feel that the information available on the website doesn’t meet your needs, it may be that calling in to the store to see and physically handle the item might be the way forward. Alternatively, you could call into the used department and ask a member of staff to talk you through the part, giving you the opportunity to ask any questions which might help you to better asses whether the unit will meet your needs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Helen,

I think you misunderstood my comment. There is no industry standard for grading. KEH grades lower than most, but their market is used equipment.You just have to man up and train your people to grade to KEH standard,buy several KEH items and show your people what they are up against.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin