Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,020   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

No more AS-IS at KEH

I recieved another nice order with more AS-IS Items yesterday, 3 of my items were AS-IS or UG one was BGN

The AS-IS Pentax Winder was a easy fix,just needed the Batt Holder cleaned had a batt leak at some point, the other item is a Nikkormat FT-2 Very clean no dents, shutter is locked up, I will clean it and fix-it soon. My UG bronica ETRS lens was like New !!! a very Nice supprise -> My GS 200mm lens was More like LN- than Ex.

I was so happy, I went to the website to look for more AS-IS items to buy to fix.....Its GONE

The blog explains that they have pulled it off.....and are RE-EVALUATING IT !!!

Will this mean no more Parts cameras, or Accesory's that are a easy to fix ??

Does anyone on the inside know what is going on ?

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish I knew what to say, I was reading this and thinking really? I can get ug stuff and fix it and use it?!?! SWEET... OH NOOOOOOOS!!!!!! So now I am sad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a bummer

Shooter
    35mm
    All of KEH's stuff is "AS-IS" since they don't test any of it. Search and you'll find plenty of stories of BGN, UG, EX items that simply don't work. What they're doing now is charging you more.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH doesn't have over the counter sales - which is a good or a bad thing depending on your view, so this event may be close to that -> KEH CAMERA BUYING EVENT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of KEH's stuff is "AS-IS" since they don't test any of it.
    I don't think that is being fair to KEH. AS-IS generally means no returns, that is not Keh's policy, unless, perhaps, specifically sold "AS-IS."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From KEH's blog, 2/21/12:

"As-Is Equipment- Yes, we recently posted a blog article (which has seen been temporarily pulled) that talked about the As-Is, or AI category at KEH. It happened to be ironic and bad timing , but a few days after the article was published the category needed to be suddenly (and temporarily) taken off the web. For now, the AI inventory is not available for sale. We are having an internal evaluation of the entire category and in the process of determining the future of it. We apologize for any inconvenience, and will let you know when it's back up and available to shop in again. "

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    All of KEH's stuff is "AS-IS" since they don't test any of it. Search and you'll find plenty of stories of BGN, UG, EX items that simply don't work. What they're doing now is charging you more.

actually this isn't exactly true. i just spoke with them yesterday
    ( i've bought maybe 3 or 4 lenses and a few cameras from them over the years )
    and this very thing was talked about in our conversation ...
    they do test things ... they make sure they are mechanically working before
    they put ratings on their items that say so ... they have a return policy ( 2 week no hassle )
    and a warrantee system in place as well ( 6 month ). some of their ratings refer to cosmetics
    but some also refer to functionality.

folks that don't believe this should call KEH and speak with them in person ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not from the U.S. you will practically always buy As-Is from KEH.
    Don't let you be fooled by them being in the camera business. They are not camera experts. They are traders. Their skills are in the comercial field not in the tehnical domain. In fact they could sell potatoes or whatever else.
    They have a simple policy: If it doesn't correspond, turn it back. This is very nice but for up to a very high price limit practicable only if you reside in the US.

Some examples from my experiences with them:
    - They had a pair of LF casettes advertised as 3x4". I asked them if this is the same as 3,25"x4,25". They told me they don't know. I should order and send back if it doesn't fit. Cost for the holders 6 USD, shipping back about 30 USD.
    - I ordered an invercone. These normally come with the invercone and a neutral filter. The box arrived but only the filter was in it. Cost under 2 EUR. They won't refund me unless I send the item back. Again, shipping 30 USD.
    - The pictures on their site are generic. You don't see what you buy. Explanation: Photographing each item would come to expensive. (Then I'm asking what would hold me back buying at ebay.)

So as they sell some items cheap, they are cheapish too. Come on, any other comerciant would have refunded the 2 USD for the invercone without insisting to send it back. Most will even apologise as it was their mistake.
    Oh well.... cheapiness can become expensive. I will for shure not risk buying anything of value from them, after the aformentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know, I was gonna get more AS-IS and I cant. Pissed me off.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin