Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,358   Online: 988

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best way to clean a focusing screen?

I just bought a new focusing screen for my Nikon F4 and it has a fingerprint on it. I know cleaning focusing screens can be tricky so I wondered if any one knew any SAFE tricks?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I just bought a new focusing screen for my Nikon F4 and it has a fingerprint on it. I know cleaning focusing screens can be tricky so I wondered if any one knew any SAFE tricks?
    The truth? Don't unless it's glass. If the print is on the smooth side, then blow/brush off any dust and be careful with the scrubbing. I use eyeglass cleaner and a clean soft cotton flannel cloth laundered without fabric softener.
    Last edited by CGW; 02-24-2012 at 09:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The truth? Don't unless it's glass. If the print is on the smooth side, then blow/brush off any dust and be careful with the scrubbing. I use eyeglass cleaner and a clean soft cotton flannel cloth laundered without fabric softener.
    What CGW said. If it came to you with a fingerprint, return it for one without a fingerprint.

Shooter
    35mm
    I almost started a thread yesterday asking for advice on cleaning an F/F2 screen.

There are already quite a few threads on the topic if one searches. After going through a few of them, I came away with the impression that it's best to leave your focusing screen alone unless you really know what you're doing.

The other day I scratched up my (glass) G2 screen by wiping it gently with a dry microfiber cloth. I didn't get any of the gunk off the screen, and actually left some lint on the microprism dot which would not budge afterward, even with a blast of compressed air.

Dots and smudges on the screen are hell if you're compulsive like me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the screen is made of two parts in a frame (like the F/F2 ones), you need to take it apart first.

Then gently wash the parts in lukewarm water and a detergent (dishwashing liquid). A final rinse should be in a very dilute solution of Photoflo (if you have it), baby shampoo, very dilute wasing up liquid or similar (to avoid water drying marks but pure & diluted enough not to leave any traces of its own), shaken well and let dry in a clean place (do not touch surfaces after the first washing).

I've made many very grotty screens look new again this way (both glass and plastic - as long as they can be removed from the camera).

If the print is on the smooth side of a screen, then it can be wiped off without a complete washing (also possible if plastic, but veeery gently...).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rol-Lei Nut has it right, I've cleaned a lot of screens from a variety of cameras and warm water and washing up liquid to get the grime off, but very gently so as not to scratch, then wash well with running water. I use a glass cleaner for the final rinse as it drains & drys with no marks.

I never dry clean lenses or screens I always use a proper liquid glass cleaner. About 8 years ago I bought a 10x8 camera with a 12" Dago described as having slight separation, a wet clean removed 70+ years of accumulated filth pushed to the edges by poor cleaning There was no separation

Clean properly and well and you get as good as new in most cases.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin