Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,925   Online: 1187

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Nikolaa;

For your Minolta XG-1, there are a couple of things you can do. If you have a local camera technician, I would take it to him first. Most often with a camera that has been just sitting for many years, just cleaning out the old lubricants and putting new more modern formulation lubricants in, plus replacing the foam seals and the foam mirror bumpers will restore the camera to full functionality.....
    I wish this were true But as it turns out, my dad put the camera away because it malfunctioned when it was in use, and repairing it would cost more than getting a new one (this was give or take 20 or so years ago), at least thats what I was told.
    And lets just say repairing it isnt that easy, I live in Croatia, and theyre not too big on "vintage" cameras here, let alone repairing them. So if anything, Ill look into getting one off ebay, the only irony being that shipping is often close to 50% of the total price. But still wroth it

So now all I have to do is pick the winning Minolta model.

p.s

this whole "film craze" was actually triggered by finding a Minolta 35 Model 1 Type D from 1949 at my Grans house a few months back. And well, curiosity led to other cameras and here we are...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Colyn and Nikolaa;

As a point of information, the only model of Minolta Manually Focusing 35mm Film SLR Camera that "requires" the Minolta ROKKOR Lens "MD" Tab on the Minolta SR Lens Mount, is the Minolta X-700 when it is operated in the "P" or Program Mode, but the MD Tab is necessary only for that mode.
    I should have said X-700. My XD-11 has manual, aperture, and shutter prioriy but no program so they too can fully utilize the MC lens..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm
    The MD series of Rokkor lenses was introduced with the XD camera to utilize its shutter priority setting. The tab indicates to the camera the lens' minimum aperture - f16, f22 or f32 - and that, indeed, an MD lens is attached.

Generally speaking, the Generation I MD lenses were MC lenses with the addition of the tab, and some say improved coatings representing advances of the day in coating technology. The second generation MD lenses were redesigned to be lighter, in keeping with the light weight of the XD. The tapered barrel form and the reduction of the filter diameter from 55mm to 49mm on some lenses are representative of this design change. Also, more use of plastic in the lens' construction was utilized, both to reduce weight and for cost savings.

When the X-700 was introduced, with its full program mode, the Generation III MD lenses were offered. These featured the aperture lock switch. The lens is set to its minimum aperture and locked there so that the aperture ring can't be accidentally shifted when the camera is in auto. Focus and shoot! This was cutting-edge technology for interchangeable-lens cameras in its day. The Gen III lenses also lost the Rokkor marque and became plain MD lenses - most of them became much lighter than earlier models with increasing use of plastics, and many of the zooms introduced at that time became variable-aperture as the camera would fully compensate throughout the zoom range.

The XD has a "stealth" program mode that, at first, wasn't publicized much. In shutter-priority mode, if the camera can't expose properly at the chosen shutter speed, it will change the shutter speed accordingly. The lens has to be set at minimum aperture when the camera is in shutter priority mode so the MD tab can tell the camera the lens' minimum aperture. The MC tab keeps track of maximum aperture. If you prefer this not to happen, the camera can be switched to M mode - it still meters and will lock in your settings.

Later model XD cameras colored the 1/125 setting on the speed dial green, the S indication on the mode switch green and the MD lenses always had the minimum aperture colored green. An insert started being included in the camera manual that hinted at program mode - it said "Green for Go" - set everything on green and shoot away, the camera would take care of the rest.

BTW - The XD doesn't require the MD tab to operate, MC lenses work fine. You just can't use the S mode. Aperture Priority and Manual work fine. The X-700 doesn't require the Gen III lenses - the switch was added so that folks that used the camera most of the time in Program mode could leave the lenses locked at minimum aperture, avoiding bad exposures due to the aperture ring not being in the proper position. The X-700 also works fine with MC lenses but, like the XD, some auto functionality is lost.

MD lenses are backwards-compatible clear back through the SRT era, including the XG and XE - the MD tab was designed not to interfere with the SR mount. I'm not sure about the pre meter-coupled (MC) era.
    Last edited by upnorthcyclist; 02-26-2012 at 01:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Minolta XD-11 & Leica R4 are basically the same body. Minolta & Leica were partners in the design.
    I recently bought a Minolta XD-11 with the camera manual. Aperture & manual modes can be done with the MC lenses. Shutter mode only works with the MD lenses. The XD-11 uses the final check metering that the X-700 has and a lever on the body engages the MD lug on the lens.
    The XD-11 feels very substantial in your hands and is a hair smaller than the X-700. I used X-700's for 25 years and was quite happy with them. It was only when the capacitors went bad that I bought the XD-11 and it is a very fine camera.

Edit: It looks like a good amount was covered above while I read the manual. Good info.
    Last edited by Wade D; 02-26-2012 at 12:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Shooter
    35mm
    Wade - I think that was the longest post I've ever written on the inter web - too much coffee today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL! It may have been long but as noted was good. I'm not only a slow reader but a lousy typist.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthcyclist View Post
    BTW - The XD doesn't require the MD tab to operate, MC lenses work fine. You just can't use the S mode.
    Actually you can (and I do) use MC lenses with shutter priority on the XD's. You lose aperture indication in the viewfinder and you might end up with a slightly different speed than wanted if the lens does not stop down fast enough.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Good info, Andreas - I always thought that when the camera didn't display the aperture setting it couldn't calculate the exposure. Generally, when I see this, it reminds me to set the (MD) lens aperture at minimum or, when using an MC lens, to change modes. The camera must use the moment-of-exposure final check feature to figure what setting to expose at.

I read somewhere (but never tried it) that a tiny, carefully shaped wedge could be inserted into the slot that engages the MD tab to fool the camera into thinking that an MD lens was mounted.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The MD tab does not simply activate a switch - it is a three position switch that tells the camera if the min aperture is 16, 22 or 32. This enables the camera to know the needed aperture (number) and show it. For exposure only the number is not necessary, only a relative info is needed (e.g. stop down 5 stops from open (i.e. what was measured) to get a properly exposed picture).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My lenses are a mix of MC & MD which cover a nice range of FL's. It's good to know that there is a work around for the shutter priority. Something that isn't covered in the camera manual. I will give it a try with the next roll.
    As for the OP's original question it was answered in post #2. The lenses will work with all manual focus Minolta bodies but not the 'A' mount AF bodies.
    Last edited by Wade D; 02-27-2012 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin