Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,420   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Differences between batteries for AE-1 Program

Hello everyone, I have a question about batteries for the AE-1 Program. Is there any difference between the Duracell PX28LB and Duracell PX28L? Or the Duracell PX28A and the PX28AB? I bought a Duracell PX28L and I was wondering if the Duracell PX28LB was any better, and if there is any difference between the Duracell PX28A and the PX28AB and if one was better than the other. Thanks for any and all replies!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use this type of battery for my Canon F1n and my Mamiya RZ. I'm cheap so I buy 4lr44 batteries.

Look at this on eBay:

3 Vinnic L1325 28A 4LR44 4G13 V4034PX Alkaline Battery

http://bit.ly/z819DO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know the answer to your question Winterlight, all I can tell you is that I have only had three Duracell PX 28L batteries in my Canon A1 during the last twenty years.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    The PX28L is a lithium version as opposed to the "A" alkaline version. Lithium batteries cost more but can be used in a much wider temperature conditions and can last on the shelf considerably longer then alkalines.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys for your responses, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure what the difference was between the alkaline and the lithium but I do now, so thank you Les Sarile. And those 4lr44 batteries look good and they are at a great price. Btw, sorry for the late response, I've been caught up in school work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say that the ebay batteries have served me very well, I have used them in my Canon's, Fujis and Mamiyas and have lasted me over a year each, in my wires AV1 its lasted 3 years or so. I think I bought the cheapest ones I could find too. Worth buying even if you want to use the branded ones just to slip into your bag as emergency spares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with the Canon A series is the batteries last for years, so I suspect any flavor that fits will be OK. For my Bronica SQ-A, in comments about the PX28 style batteries the silver was preferred, then the alkaline, and they actually recommended against the lithium variety. Apparently there is (or was in the 1990s) a lot of variability in the lithium cells as to current capacity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks goodness for those shocking dog collars! Those same batteries are used in your AE-1 Program. Economies of scale, demand and Chinese manufacturers make them cheap. I remember 20 years ago, I had to buy those Duracell versions for $6. It was a lot of money back then. Don't know if the cheap ones last as long, but just carry a bunch in your camera bag. I was in Yosemite in freezing weather with by Mamiya RZ in December and they held up to a day of shooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Usually, a silver-oxide or lithium battery would be a better choice because of the steep discharge curve of alkaline batteries. But the AE-1 is very forgiving on variance in voltage. If I remember correctly, the manual suggests alkaline batteries, although it may mention silver-oxide. Just buy what is cheapest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Canon AE-1 Program manual advises that alkaline or silver oxide or lithium are all suitable chemistry for the camera.
    Duracell only has a data sheet for the PX28L, and if you click the link for PX28LB datasheet, you are given the PX28L datasheet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin