Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,056   Online: 911

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The noct nikkor has taken on a status bordering on insanity. However the OP did pay 18.00 a piece for the cameras so even 50.00 for a decent 1.4 may seem like a lot.

Shooter
    35mm
    First: "What am I going to do with 10 Nikkormats" asked erikg. When they are so cheap and in such good cosmetic condition, I buy, regardless of whether I need them. They simply cannot depreciate further than USD 18 each.

Really, in the past few camera shows in the Philadelphia area there really is a shortage of Nikon normals. I am given hope that they might come back since that is not the case everywhere. Thank you for the comments. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's cool. I wondered if you might be setting up an film photo boot camp or building 5 stereo cameras or something. Good luck finding some lenses, I'm sure they will turn up if you wait long enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are hard to pass up considering how capable a camera they are for the price these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say a Nikkor 50 has to be the most common normal 35mm lens on the planet. Here are the number of hits form an ebay search filtered for: film camera, lens, manual focus, normal, 50

Nikkor 202
    Canon 186
    Pentax 170
    Rokkor 125
    Yashica 87
    Fujinon 15
    Topcor 9
    Rollei 5

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The usual problem, though, is that the micro 4/3rds crowd bids the Nikkors out of the affordable price range. Before the micro 4/3rds craze started, it was very commonplace to get a 50/2 AI for $35-$45 in decent shape. Now, most places tend to sell them for $80-$90, and that's what they're going for on eBay. Non-AI 50/2's could be had for $25-$30 in good working order. They're now hitting $60-$70 frequently.

With my last 50, I lucked out. Local shop had a very nice 50/1.4 Nikkor-S NKJ lens for $35. Snapped it up, swapped the AI ring from my beater 50/1.4 Nikkor-S "Nikon" version, and now have a nice lens that'll look good on the F when it gets here and still works fine on the F5 that's currently wearing it, as seen below.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't even get me started on the digital kooks. Yet another thing they're trying to take - all the decent MF lenses. And for what? A bunch of shitty bokeh shots?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Clearly it would be better if the digital folks couldn't use these lenses, then most of them would end up in the corners of closets or in the dump. Personally, I've yet to actually see someone using a digital camera with a vintage lens, but someone must be doing it, or they wouldn't be selling those adapters. And they're still pretty cheap compared to new lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Clearly it would be better if the digital folks couldn't use these lenses, then most of them would end up in the corners of closets or in the dump. Personally, I've yet to actually see someone using a digital camera with a vintage lens, but someone must be doing it, or they wouldn't be selling those adapters. And they're still pretty cheap compared to new lenses.
    Videographers, mostly. DSLRs can't autofocus worth a damn during live video, so people would rather get the nice MF lenses. I'd know, I use my film lenses for video when they're not being used for film. You wouldn't believe how many (digital) canon people own a whole collection of Nikon MF lenses.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    There is a nice 20mm UD Nikkor on APUG at the moment http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-modified.html

This is a nice lens, a bit bulky, but delivers good work unless you have a light source in the frame or just outside it - It is my second favourite WA for Nikon after my ancient 2.1cm Nikkor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin