Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,572   Online: 1030

Shooter
    35mm

Lenses for the Canon EOS-Elan II?

Alright --

My family is asking me for some Christmas ideas, and I am thinking about getting another lense or two for my Canon EOS-Elan II (I don't have the IIE).

I only have one lense right now -- the 28-80mm zoom lense that I got with it when I bought the camera in 1999.

Here are my q's:

1. What are the "gotta have lenses" for beginners like myself?

2. Let's say I took a picture with my zoom lense, having the lens set at 28mm. Let's say I took another picture with a 28mm fixed lense. Would I be able to tell a difference between the photos that I took with my Canon?

3. I am an eBay shopper -- are lenses ok to get over eBay? Just get a little nervous not seeing it, before the money is put down.

Thanks in advance for the help, direction, and insights.

Huram

Images
    What is your budget? And what focal lengths do you normally shoot at?

FWIW, I have the 28, 50, 85, & 17-40
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    50mm f/1.8 - less than $100 (often less than $80) and MUCH faster than your zoom. Put the strobe away.

28mm -- yeah, you'll see a difference. the prime will be faster, lighter, less distorted.

Depends on what you want to shoot, of course -- some people wouldn't be without a 400mm tele, while personally I NEED my 12-24 monster wide.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three lens I use on my Elan(s) - 20-35, 28-135 IS (get's most use) and 100-300. For price performance - 50 1.8 can not be beat.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    127 Format
    I don't use the canon's much but my other half does, so I've shopped for a few lenses - on ebay and others locations, as xmas presents and such.

I'd definatly endorse trying the 50mm f/1.8 - it's a gift. I paid about 60 pounds for it. It's pretty hard to justify the "pro" f/1.4 at about 7 times the price!

You basically need to decide if you need to go long or short.

I just picked up the (I think discontinued) 22-55mm. It's an nice range - ultrawide to normal. It was designed for the APS SLR's - smaller negative, hence needing a short zoom. I've heard it's a bit soft around the edges (not needed for APS), but again it was priced to go, and should be a lot of fun. The closest competition was the 24mm at more than twice the price.

I've bought a few of the lenses through ebay without problems. However watch out for prices, and dodgey imports:

The 50mm lens repeatedly sells for MORE than you can buy it retail (www.7dayshop.co.uk is good if you're UK based). Check the retail price at a few places before bidding. You may not be getting a bargin.

Also check where the seller actually is. I've no problem buying from abroad. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from good sellers in North America, and the Far East. I'm not even particularly worried about "grey goods". However the big gotcha is import duty - the 100 pound bargain looks less good when you add 20 pounds tax, and 10 pounds handling charge. Virtually all the ebay buy-it-now's on lenses are international sellers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on what you intend to be your "next step".
    For landscapes,my favourite is my Sigma 17-35mm(expensive,but worth it).
    For wildlife,it's my Sigma 175-500mm(even more expensive,but nice to use).
    For closeup/macro photos it's the Cosina 100mm macro(cheap,but I like it)
    But the lens I use most often is my 70-300mm.
    Canon do an Image Stabilised version(which cut the amount of film I waste because of camera shake by over 90%!),but even the "conventional" version is useful-especially with a 2x convertor.
    Also,a good tripod is ALWAYS worth having!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin