Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,332   Online: 712

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Gift Nikon set - should I keep it?

A few months ago I was given a Nikon EL2 with a set of lenses by somebody who stopped photographing because of his age As I use 35 mm from time to time (my work in black and white is mainly on medium format), but also have a Contax Aria with 28, 50 and 85 mm Zeiss lenses I wonder if I should keep it, or try to sell it.
    The set contains the camera, a 1:1.4 50mm Nikkor, a 1:2.5 105mm Nikkor, a 1:4-5.6 D 70-210 AF Nikkor, and a 1:3.5-4.5 D 35-105 AF Nikkor, all with pristine glass and original front- en rear caps. I can't find any damage on the set as a whole, the only thing visible is some paint peeled off from the Nikon branding on the mirror house and a strip on one side of the back. There is also a Nikon DR-3 90° angle viewer and three auto extension rings. Even a nice bag included.
    For colour, I use a digitial Nikon D200 (sorry), and the lenses work on that camera with some limitations. So this is a better deal maybe than keeping the Aria? That one however is much more convenient to use, lighter, has automated film transport and sophisticated auto-exposure if you want it etc, and the Zeiss lenses are fabulous. No zoom, anyhow.
    Any thoughts on how to decide. Are there uses I overlooked? Thanks for all comments.
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Hadeer;

A nice collection of gear, in both groups.

To me, it sounds like you should keep both. The Aria with the Carl Zeiss lenses sounds like it is excellent for wide angle work. The Nikon system has lenses longer for telephoto work. Keep both.

By the way, the NIKKOR 2.5/100mm lens is one of the great NIKKOR lenses. It works very well. OK, actually I should say that my 2.5/100mm NIKKOR works very well.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd sell the EL2, the tubes(unless you're into macro work), DR3 and AF lenses. Keep the primes for use with the D200. Keep the Aria kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my opinion the gift should be kept and used or pass on to someone else and not sold. If you sell it you should give the money to the person who gave you the camera. He could not use the camera any more but I am sure he still can use the money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Chan and Ralph said.

I would keep the set for three, yes 3 reasons.
    1. The lens works on your existing Nikon
    2. The body is not hugely valuable
    3. You might actually like it.

Shoot it for a while, you might all 3 reasons apply. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    What Chan and Ralph said.

I would keep the set for three, yes 3 reasons.
    1. The lens works on your existing Nikon
    2. The body is not hugely valuable
    3. You might actually like it.

Shoot it for a while, you might all 3 reasons apply. Good Luck.
    in addition to all this, you should consider its a buyer market right now, you won't get much
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on keeping it. I've got a 105/2.5 and even though I don't often use a lens that long, I'm always impressed by it when I do. Granted I've never used Zeiss glass but the 105/2.5 might surprise you.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just curious: which 85mm? They are both excellent, but in very different ways...

I'll also vote for keeping both and find if you prefer or end up using one more than the other.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is the F2.8

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody for the advice. All in all, I think I will try to sell the zooms and the tubes (got those too for the Contax set). Still in doubt about the body. But I am not a camera collector.
    Before anyone thinks that I am an ungrateful gift receiver, this set was part of a comprehensive set of darkroom- and camera equipment. I was absolutely give a free hand to do whatever I found useful with it. A part of it I already have given away to some analogue photofriends here in the Netherlands. My aim is to see it does'nt end up in some junkyard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin