Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,649   Online: 1303

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta XG 1 MD tab stuck

I come to this board with a problem. My trusty Minolta XG 1 with an MD Rokkor 50mm lens has started giving me some trouble. The MD tab, the little tab on the camera body that's on top of where the lens meets the body, is stuck all the way to the left. This little tab used to move easily along with a corresponding tab on my lens as I adjusted the aperture. Now the tab just won't budge and stops me from using my full aperture range. The lens is also extremely difficult to take on and off, requiring a lot of force to get it into it's proper position. Removed from the body, the lens appears fine and the aperture works, which leads me to believe that it's a problem with my camera itself and not the lens.

After extensive googling and inspecting, I feel like I've figured out the problem, but I haven't found any solutions on how to fix it and if I can even fix it myself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated? I love this camera and hope I can figure out a solution!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello caselle21 and welcome to APUG. Someone who is familiar with Minolta will respond, hang in there.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi caselle21 - welcome to APUG.

I think you are talking about the MC tab, not the MD tab. The XG-1 doesn't utilize the MD function.

I would try loosening the four screws that fasten the metal lens mount to the camera body and see if the ring comes free - that would tell you whether it is simply a mechanical bind caused by some dirt or something. If that doesn't do the trick it gets complicated - there's something wrong internally, such as a linkage problem.

The dilemma you face is that a CLA/repair for that camera is much more expensive than what you can pick up another one for. If you really have an attachment for that particular camera, go for it. You'll get many years of service from it.

If you decide to get another camera, I would suggest finding an XG-M. It has the same form as the XG-1 but will be newer and has the most features of the XG series. They can be found for very few dollars on eBay.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The meter coupling is spring loaded. Sometimes you may find dust or grit trapped between the ring and the camera body. Or the spring may be bound up or broken.
    The good thing is that it's only a few screws to loosen and find out.
    The ring itself is the moving part so nothing else to deal with but it has a couple of finger contacts on the inside, if those are bent you can try to straighten them but they may be beyond repair.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, as the previous posts inferred, you have to remove the chrome mount (not too difficult) and re-anchor the spring that holds the plastic circle that includes the tab to the tiny projection on the body that anchors that spring (at about 3 o'clock on the body). This is a delicate operation and frustrating without a magnifying glass unless you have excellent close vision. On the plastic rim that you remove from the body, there is a tiny projectile that will provide anchoring for the spring. Make certain to push the end of the spring down fully (to get the spring's end to stay there!) onto this projectile (we are talking about a projectile that is about 1/16 of an inch, so work patiently). Then anchor the other end of this spring onto the projectile on the body (3 o'clock) and CAREFULLY place the rim back and then the chrome mount, being ever so careful not to let the whole mess go flying!!

I did just this a few days ago and, although I had much experience from other times, still had to mentally focus on what I was doing. If you were in Philadelphia I would do this for you for 50 cents!!! - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin