Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,751   Online: 896

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the idea was that the OP wants to use the two Minolta lenses he just picked up. Nikon not so good for that. I've had Nikons crap out on me, so indeed YMMV. That said, I think an SRT is good choice, very solid feel.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I think the idea was that the OP wants to use the two Minolta lenses he just picked up. Nikon not so good for that. I've had Nikons crap out on me, so indeed YMMV. That said, I think an SRT is good choice, very solid feel.
    Got that. Minoltas, like the other orphan system cameras, aren't getting any younger. M4/3 shooters are bidding up lens prices while the bodies, outside of collectibles,are generally tanking in value. Still think the X700 is the worst of the lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XD-11 would be my choice.

+ Small and light.
    + Aperture Priority AE.
    + Shutter speed dial for when I need to adjust.
    + Fixed Microprism screen.
    + Uses 357 battery.
    + Reasonably stylish looking is good too

Additionally, it has a metal body, not plastic, and has the most amazingly smooth mirror/shutter actuation I have ever felt. It was one of the cameras Minolta designed in conjunction with Leica. You may never want to use your OMs again.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    @CGW - this is comical man. You were the one who brought up the X-700 in the first place. No one is telling him to get an X-700, and I agree with you - it's OK for what it is, but an OM-2 calibre, it probably is not.
    Our man needs an XD-11 (XD-7 or XD). Possibly an XE-7 even for the build, but now that is getting a little heavy, and I feel the XD is actually a superior camera in that it is smaller, lighter, still metal body, better viewfinder, and a lot more like an OM-2 that the OP is used to using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going against the grain here but I like my X-700's! though one of them does need new seals
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thinks for the pointers guys. So what is the difference between XD and XE? Don;t seems to find it in the Rokkor files. I think X-700 is sooooo 80s looking it is better left to the Hipster crowd.

@Jedidiah Smith, Oh yes I do like the 58mm, I picked one up for $5 with missing parts and stuck aperture. So I converted it to Pentax-K and loved the results. Now I have to experience the 58mm on a proper body as the Gods in Tokyo intended. Hence my request for an OM-2 equivalent Minolta body.

It really is pity so many in the m4/3 crowd are buying the kit and dumping the body. At $20-30 a pop 35mm film bodies are like interchangeable film backs these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HG__6946.png  

Shooter
    35mm
    According to a google search, X-700 bodies with serial numbers of 25xxxxx and below have good-quality capacitors, 27xxxxx and higher have cheap, failure-prone capacitors, and 26xxxxx are mixed. I happen to have a couple of bodies that have worked perfectly fine. So find one with a low number and you're golden - at least as far as failing capacitors are concerned.

BTW, the X700 seems closer to the OM2 as it has TTL flash which the XD11 does not have. This is closer to the OM2's pioneering OTF flash although not exactly.

The Rokkor files is not exactly complimentary of the 1981 European Camera of the year which is a disservice and does not cover the XE-7 which has to be the smoothest shutter advance of any camera I have tried.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Now I have to experience the 58mm on a proper body as the Gods in Tokyo intended. Hence my request for an OM-2 equivalent Minolta body.
    Then you must look for an XK . . .

Except that it would be more like 3 OM2's . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never understood why the Rokkor Files says nothing about the XE-7, seeing what kind of following it has. It's a large, heavy camera, not, in my opinion, the kind of body you're looking for. It was the first SLR made in collaboration with Leica; they used it as the foundation for the R3, while the XD-11 was used for the R4.

At $20-30 a pop 35mm film bodies are like interchangeable film backs these days.
    That's how I'm using them!
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Supposedly because he didn't want to post at the same time as when this other site was up -> Minolta XE -series

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin