Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,076   Posts: 1,612,164   Online: 993

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Difference between XD and XE series was basically size/weight.
    The XD11 was a multi-mode MD camera, shutter or aperture priority in automatic and metered manual.
    The XE were MC, aperture priority and manual.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wrote an article on the XE and compared it to the XK throughout with pictures of the bodies I had at the time, but it was never hosted on Antony's site - it was late to the game, I guess. I'll shoot him an email and see if he has time to host it these days.
    If you would like a copy of the article just shoot me your email address and I'll email it to you. An XE body is going to be larger and heavier than an OM-2, that's why I was hinting toward the XD.
    Oh, and unless anyone thinks I'm negative toward the X-700, I'm not. Like I said earlier, it was my first camera, and therefore I have a soft spot for it. It is a nice little camera body. But, it has its limitations, and definitely is not all metal build, so it lacks the feel & heft of the earlier bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Jed, I haven't read your article and would be interested in getting a copy of it. As you can see, I have both the XK and XE-7 and although they were released at the same time - along with the XE-5, it seems to me that they were designed by completely different groups of people isolated from each other! At least that is the impression I have of the two.

I'll shoot you an email.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your interest, Les. Email is on the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XD11 or XD7. U have both aperture and shutter priority to choose from.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The Rokkor files is not exactly complimentary of the 1981 European Camera of the year which is a disservice and does not cover the XE-7 which has to be the smoothest shutter advance of any camera I have tried.
    I agree (I assume you mean film advance). My XE-1 (European version of XE-7) is very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    If you would like a copy of the article just shoot me your email address and I'll email it to you.
    I would like to see that. steve.smith.stuff(at)gmail.com. Thanks.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a non-working X-700 overhauled last year for about $50. Once that's done it will work well for a long time. There were two different systems for changing the focusing screen. Some cameras have a bracket which pulls down. Others require you to push the screen up and into place. Changing screens in my Nikon F2 and Canon F-1 cameras is much easier. When I lived closer to Minolta's headquarters in NJ I had their service department change screens for me. Now that I have six X-700s I leave a grid screen in one, a plain matte screen in another and the standard screen in the other four. Minolta X-700 screens do not seem to show up on eBay very often so finding one might take a while.

Shooter
    35mm
    Get a SRT 102 or Super. You will have to match needle, but that is pretty quick once you get the hang. I picked up SRT Super recently and am intriqued by that 58/1.4. I have 45/2 (nice), 28/2.8 (nice but no zuiko) and 50/1.7, (decent and goes to f/16 which zuikos don't).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just got a nice note back from Antony, and he sends his greetings to the Minolta crew. He said he was just really busy and never got a chance to put the articles up back when I wrote them. He's going to try to find some time in the next while and add them to the Rokkor Files, so that will be nice to have at least a fuller representation of the Minolta bodies. If anyone spots some glarring errors or things that need changed, please let me know!

Shooter
    35mm
    Jed, After reading your write-up, I thought I was missing something. So I searched for the word smooth and was surprised you used it to describe the bottom plate and the take up spool but not the velvety, buttery smoothness of the shutter advance. I am of the opinion an XE-7 write-up is not complete without extolling this virtue a few times as I haven't tried a camera that is even close to this!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin