Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

What is the Minolta equivalent to OM-2?

I had picked up a 58mm PG-Rokkor and 45mm Rokkor and hope to pick up a body to use with it. I am not really sure which pre-AF body I should be going after reading sites like Rokkorfiles etc. I use the OM-2 and would like something similar namely:

Small and light.
    Aperture Priority AE.
    Shutter speed dial for when I need to adjust.
    Interchangeable screen or Fixed Microprism screen.
    Uses LR44/357 battery.

Reasonably stylish looking is good too.... :P

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I had picked up a 58mm PG-Rokkor and 45mm Rokkor and hope to pick up a body to use with it. I am not really sure which pre-AF body I should be going after reading sites like Rokkorfiles etc. I use the OM-2 and would like something similar namely:

Small and light.
    Aperture Priority AE.
    Shutter speed dial for when I need to adjust.
    Interchangeable screen or Fixed Microprism screen.
    Uses LR44/357 battery.

Reasonably stylish looking is good too.... :P
    X-700. They're common and affordable. Good thing since they have a baked-in electronic glitch that, while fixable, can stop 'em dead in their tracks. Had two and both died.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know that the capacitor problem with the X700 is easily fixed? http://www.twid.de/x700/

I have two X700's and one X300s. All had the capacitor problem and all were a simple DIY.

Apart from the lousy capacitors the X700 is a great camera. Only thing missing (for me) is MLU. And I don't think the X700's screen can be changed (easily that is). That said the default screen is fine (micro-prism plus split image).

The X700 ticks all the OP's other boxes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hamster, I think you will like the 58mm lens. ;-)
    I mean no disrespect to the X-700, as it was my first camera, a gift from my Dad back in the day, so I do have a soft spot for it. However, I believe it may feel a bit "plasticy" to you, coming from the well built Olympus OM Series. I would really be tempted to get an XD-11 (also named XD-7 and plain XD in other markets). Try one of those and see if you like the feel. I'm pretty sure it is the match for any of the OM Series with the right glass. :-)
    Enjoy your Rokkors!
    Jed

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    You know that the capacitor problem with the X700 is easily fixed? http://www.twid.de/x700/

I have two X700's and one X300s. All had the capacitor problem and all were a simple DIY.

Apart from the lousy capacitors the X700 is a great camera. Only thing missing (for me) is MLU. And I don't think the X700's screen can be changed (easily that is). That said the default screen is fine (micro-prism plus split image).

The X700 ticks all the OP's other boxes.
    Loved my SRT 101 but not the junky, failure-prone X700. My advice to the OP is buy another if you must or get a bomb-proof Nikon FE/FE2.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ...My advice to the OP is buy another if you must or get a bomb-proof Nikon FE/FE2.
    Not sure I'm following here. The OP uses Olympus gear; just picked up 2 Minolta Rokkors he wants to use. He's asking for a Minolta body "equivalent to an OM-2". He can't really buy another of something he doesn't have, and a Nikon F body is not going to help him here...

I know I've been gone a long while but I do love to chime in a bit on the Minolta threads.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    X-570.

Ok, maybe any one of the XD's as well. XD, XD-11, 7 or 5. The 5 is the only different one - the others are the same but for different markets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Loved my SRT 101 but not the junky, failure-prone X700. My advice to the OP is buy another if you must or get a bomb-proof Nikon FE/FE2.
    Is CGW really advocating an older mechanical camera instead of a newer electronic one???
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Not sure I'm following here. The OP uses Olympus gear; just picked up 2 Minolta Rokkors he wants to use. He's asking for a Minolta body "equivalent to an OM-2". He can't really buy another of something he doesn't have, and a Nikon F body is not going to help him here...

I know I've been gone a long while but I do love to chime in a bit on the Minolta threads.
    Point is: X700s aren't reliable. The DIY "fix" isn't a cakewalk and a proper repair is probably more than the price of another. His call. My point was that similarly ancient Nikon equivalents are still ticking; many of the Minolta X 300/500/700 series cameras aren't. He can pass on AE and get an older SRT series body or try an early XD/E electronic.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Is CGW really advocating an older mechanical camera instead of a newer electronic one???
    Have an SRT 101 and love it. Bought two X700s and both died inside of a year--a very common problem, obviously. Nikons, mechanical or electronic, have never crapped out on me.YMMV...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin