Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,798   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Thanks I now understand. Do I have to hold the the DOF button Down until I release the shutter or only to meter then let it go and take the shot?
    You can do either since it doesn't matter. Most people would remove their finger from the DOF button, perhaps to refine their composition, have a bright finder while composing, etc. but it's not necessary to remove your finger. Keep in mind when one uses the 'mirror lock-up' feature the DOF button is also engaged and stops-down the lens to the shooting aperture.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Thanks I now understand. Do I have to hold the the DOF button Down until I release the shutter or only to meter then let it go and take the shot? I will check to see if I can take the ears off another lens.
    I appreciate all the help.
    Aja yes you are right. I had noticed that the lens is wide open when mounted. I just thought that the DP head being set at 5.6 had something to do with the lens.
    Arthur
    E series lack the tiny pilot holes flanking f/5.6 that allowed the prongs to be retrofitted to AF/AFD lenses. Epoxy isn't really workable. Stop down metering is really a no-brainer, so don't sweat it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^ Epoxy works quite well. I've had a couple AF Nikkors that were done with epoxy glue. Worked fine on Nikkormats, F's with FTn finders, and non-AI F2's. Also received a Series E 50/1.8 that had been so modified. Coupled with all non-AI bodies, but, since I didn't plan to keep the lens, I removed the prong and cleaned the ring up for resale purposes. The tiny pilot holes on most AF Nikkors are in the wrong places anyway, as I discovered when I fitted a 75-300 Nikkor with a prong.

With respect to holding down the DOF preview - that's only necessary with a camera that has aperture-priority automatic modes and is being used in said mode, like an EL2, FE, F3, or F4.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    ^ Epoxy works quite well. I've had a couple AF Nikkors that were done with epoxy glue. Worked fine on Nikkormats, F's with FTn finders, and non-AI F2's. Also received a Series E 50/1.8 that had been so modified. Coupled with all non-AI bodies, but, since I didn't plan to keep the lens, I removed the prong and cleaned the ring up for resale purposes. The tiny pilot holes on most AF Nikkors are in the wrong places anyway, as I discovered when I fitted a 75-300 Nikkor with a prong.

With respect to holding down the DOF preview - that's only necessary with a camera that has aperture-priority automatic modes and is being used in said mode, like an EL2, FE, F3, or F4.

-J
    Wouldn't get epoxy close to any lens of mine. Just too many NAI, Ai and AIS Nikkors with prongs around to bother with this dodgy fix. Funny but Nikon.ca techs seemed to think those pilot holes were properly located when they put prongs on some AFD lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin