Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,538   Online: 1144

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasLangGenius View Post
    I have been worrying that if I put my E-6 35mm in the freezer, that a defrost cycle would get to it and ruin it.
    Even if it warms up to room temperature and stays there for a week, it's not going to affect the film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Even if it warms up to room temperature and stays there for a week, it's not going to affect the film.

Steve.
    Unless of course you forget to wrap the film boxes into water proof pouches before putting them into the freezer. Guess how I know about that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember folks, my comment was that auto-defrost freezers are not ideal for film.

Ideal would be two manual defrost freezers, where each is less than half full (so you can transfer film from one to the other when you do a manual defrost every year or so).

But if your resources are stretched, an auto-defrost freezer is better than none, and definitely better than just using a refrigerator.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    How long does it take to de-frost a freezer? (I don't know as I can't remember ever doing it). Whatever length of time it is, it can't be detrimental to the film to allow it to warm up a bit then go cold again when the de-frost is finished.

And what are you supposed to do with food in a freezer at de-frosting time?

Steve.
    It takes about twelve hours to defrost a large chest freezer and about eight a fridge freezer and about the same amount of time to get them down to temperature on full power when you switch them back on again, Before you defrost a freezer you use all the food in it, and buy more to replace it afterwards.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    We have an upright freezer in the basement at home. I can usually defrost it in 4 hours. I don't have a problem with stuff melting because I catch it when there's not a whole lot in it and I stick the stuff in coolers. Here's the secret to doing it in 4 hours that I learned from my mom before we got a frost-free refrigerator. Boil water on the stove. Once the water begins to boil, turn it off and put the pan in the freezer. This method works best with at least two pans of water. One is on the stove while the other is in the freezer. Rotate pans frequently. The steam melts the frost above it while the bottom of the pan melts the frost under it.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    We have an upright freezer in the basement at home. I can usually defrost it in 4 hours. I don't have a problem with stuff melting because I catch it when there's not a whole lot in it and I stick the stuff in coolers. Here's the secret to doing it in 4 hours that I learned from my mom before we got a frost-free refrigerator. Boil water on the stove. Once the water begins to boil, turn it off and put the pan in the freezer. This method works best with at least two pans of water. One is on the stove while the other is in the freezer. Rotate pans frequently. The steam melts the frost above it while the bottom of the pan melts the frost under it.

ME Super
    I doubt if the manufacturers approve of this method, it can't do the freezer and it's electronics a lot of good.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember my grandmother doing that... way back when.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just put the film in the freezer. It'll be fine.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just put the film in camera and shoot.... It'll be better.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Goodness, what a circular conversation. Freeze it or refridge it, it does not matter.

The only things you should freeze are instant films and Ektar 25, which I heard can grow crystals or some other such bugaboo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin