Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,602   Online: 904

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Some days it just doesn't pay to get oout of bed.

Was working on my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 non AI lens today to make it into an AI lens so I can use it on my F5 and D700. Well everything was going just swimmingly until I went to put it back together. Then I found I had cut out the wrong side of the ring! Duh. Oh well can still mill out the correct side tomorrow just won't look as pretty. Jeez!!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Was working on my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 non AI lens today to make it into an AI lens so I can use it on my F5 and D700. Well everything was going just swimmingly until I went to put it back together. Then I found I had cut out the wrong side of the ring! Duh. Oh well can still mill out the correct side tomorrow just won't look as pretty. Jeez!!!
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could pick up another ring but I guess that would defeat your original purpose of diy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can just carve out the proper side and it will work fine. I hacked up the side with the painted f stop numbers nearest. It's not like I have never converted one of these lenses before, just had other things on my mind. Have to remember the adage measure twice, cut once.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to give this a positive spin, like the PR folks in Washington do with f-ups:

Just say that you milled the right end, and don't elaborate.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never taken a lens apart to get it to mount. I just keep the rear cover on a dremel the ring. I can convert a lens in about 3 minutes now. There is no need to take everything apart if you are not doing a proper conversion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Call it a practice cut!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I take a leaf out of Mark Twain's book and look in the obituary column of the local paper every morning before I get up
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snay1345 View Post
    I have never taken a lens apart to get it to mount. I just keep the rear cover on a dremel the ring. I can convert a lens in about 3 minutes now. There is no need to take everything apart if you are not doing a proper conversion.
    I thought of that but decided I didn't want to get all the micro filings into the lens.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I thought of that but decided I didn't want to get all the micro filings into the lens.
    Wise decision. Those little metal pieces can do a lot of damage.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin