Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

nikkormat ft3 focusing screen

i recently bought an ft3 in great shape. some of the silvering on the focusing screen appears to be rubbed off or marked. there is also a black ring visible in the viewfinder. is this water damage? the body is superb with minimal to no brassing. are these marks indicative of age, as the camera was launched in 1977?

p.s. can the screen be replaced in a CLA, given that it is non replaceable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silvering? Are you talking about the screen or the prism?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The screen is user-replacable, but has no silvering. Do you possibly mean the mirror?
    Can you describe the black ring, is it opaque, centered, or not, how big, evenly shaped...?

Could just be dirt or dust on the screen. This site shows how to remove the viewfinder to access the screen;
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...rs/finder1.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    The screen is user-replacable, but has no silvering. Do you possibly mean the mirror?
    Can you describe the black ring, is it opaque, centered, or not, how big, evenly shaped...?

Could just be dirt or dust on the screen. This site shows how to remove the viewfinder to access the screen;
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...rs/finder1.htm
    I don't think the viewfinder of the Nikkormat is interchangeable....

Shooter
    35mm
    The link bdial provided is for the F3 while the correct link is FT3
    Neither finder or screen are user changeable in the FT3. Check out the manual readily available on the net as it shows what you should normally see through the viewfinder and see if it addresses your question further.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also have an FT3 and as Les Sarile says, the screen is not user changeable. I would advise taking it to a qualified technician to have it cleaned out. As has been stated, the black ring in your viewfinder could be dirt lodged in the innards. It is worth having this done properly, since this particular model is one of Nikon's best and could be set to become one of the "classics" of the future

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It can* be changed from the inside, just don't bent the needle while you're at it. I've even made a new one for a nikkormat FT2. But either way the screen got no silver on it.

*at your own risk.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what do you do when a little silver has come off the focusing screen?, as this is what has happened. do all nikkormats have some deterioation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    what do you do when a little silver has come off the focusing screen?, as this is what has happened. do all nikkormats have some deterioation?

Either the Mirror or the prism 's flakes off silver. I'm just going to interpert as your focusing screens dirty inside for whatever reason.

Focusing screen on FT3 are not user changeable or you can not simply buy a replacement, best be sending in for repair, or buy another Nikkormat FT3 and put 2 and 2 together.

Or, Just use it.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    There is no silver on the focussing screen. There is silver on the mirror, and on the prism. Actually, it's aluminium. My Nikkormat Ftn is at least a few years older, and is pristine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin