Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,016   Online: 676

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So would it be correct to say that a Beattie would be more appropriate for a TLR/medium format type camera than say a 35mm SLR? I recall some posts way back about the possible improvement on a Mamiya 645 Pro with a Beattie screen but it's been so long ago. I do recall the discussion where an F4 user preferred some of the specific Nikon screens over the Beattie despite the slight and noticable increase in light......I recall the person saying the split screen worked better in the Nikon screens.

Let me be specific. I have noticed my 124G is much harder to focus now a days than the one I used in 1975 (yes when it was a year or two old), the example I have (from the original owner) seems much darker and yes, I do need a CLA on it, and no I really haven't looked at the mirror hard....but does a Beattie on a 124G really make that big of a difference?

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    How the Leicaflex SL manged to avoid such problems is a real wonder and one I'd love to hear an informed explanation for....
    I never even handled an SL but a quick search suggests that its light meter is located under the mirror, as opposed to in the prism, which would explain a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    I never even handled an SL but a quick search suggests that its light meter is located under the mirror, as opposed to in the prism, which would explain a lot.
    Indeed!

Keep forgetting details like that...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    So would it be correct to say that a Beattie would be more appropriate for a TLR/medium format type camera than say a 35mm SLR? I recall some posts way back about the possible improvement on a Mamiya 645 Pro with a Beattie screen but it's been so long ago. I do recall the discussion where an F4 user preferred some of the specific Nikon screens over the Beattie despite the slight and noticable increase in light......I recall the person saying the split screen worked better in the Nikon screens.

Let me be specific. I have noticed my 124G is much harder to focus now a days than the one I used in 1975 (yes when it was a year or two old), the example I have (from the original owner) seems much darker and yes, I do need a CLA on it, and no I really haven't looked at the mirror hard....but does a Beattie on a 124G really make that big of a difference?

Bob E.
    You may want to try waxing the screen. I have an Ikoflex that was difficult to focus with even though it has a fresnel. I waxed the screen and now it is incredibly bright, even indoors by lamplight. I did it to my Speed Graphic as well and it dramatically improved the brightness of it.

I don't know how well this would work on a 35mm camera but maybe I will give it a try on a crappy Yashica I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post

Bob E.
    I think that's a fair assumption. I bet it would benefit your 124G. Even on 35mm the Beattie will help when you're using lenses with small apertures F4, etc.

I did some reading after I ordered the Beattie, about how the brighter the screen, the less snap it has. This has something to do with the roughness of the surface of the screen. Smoother = brighter. Rougher = more snap. The brighter it gets, the less snap it gives. The relationship is converse so one necessarily affects the other, unfortunately. The original Contax screen had great snap and was pretty bright as well ... but the Beattie is VERY bright and VERY clear. Mine is a split image, and the split image also is more difficult to decipher than on the original screen. All said and done, the time it takes me to focus with either, is about the same (I still have an RTS, with the original screen, for comparison). For microscopic focusing, I would probably want brighter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What I would really really like, in all my cameras, is a dark matte screen with lots of snap, combined with a microprism circle (not a ring, but a full circle) in the centre. This is essentially the Nikon Type J screen, but with more snap to the clear part. The Nikons are hard to find (for the F801/F801s at least) and Beattie doesn't make them like that. Arghhh.

I love microprisms- how they subtly vibrate around the focusing point and then suddenly snap into tranquility. Brilliant stuff. Pity that it's implemented so rarely. Maybe these screens are difficult (expensive) to make?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin