Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,051   Online: 951

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beattie Intenscreen

I have been contemplating putting one on my RTS II. I'm wondering if anyone has experience before and after installing one. The RTS has a fairly bright screen to begin with, and pretty good snap. That said, I still sometimes have trouble finding the focal point when using wide-angle lenses with already-large depths of field (namely my Distagon 28mm 2.8).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed an Intenscreen on any camera (preferably 35mm but not necessarily a Contax).

Shooter
    35mm
    If the viewfinder of the RTS II is the same as the RTS which only has a magnification of 0.87X then perhaps you need a different camera with a larger viewfinder instead of just a screen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't understand how that would affect anything, Les. Are you saying that magnification nearer to 1 would make focusing easier than having a brighter image inside the viewfinder at .87?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    trust yourself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I don't understand how that would affect anything, Les. Are you saying that magnification nearer to 1 would make focusing easier than having a brighter image inside the viewfinder at .87?
    To be sure, you have to try it yourself but the larger the magnification the better the ability to manual focus. An obvious example is by using a magnifier as shown below.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    trust yourself.
    Thank you, CJ!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    To be sure, you have to try it yourself but the larger the magnification the better the ability to manual focus. An obvious example is by using a magnifier as shown below.

Well ... the magnifier for my RTS is a bit cheaper than a new focus screen but it's more conspicuous than I'd like. I've looked into it before, used to use a magnifier on my Pentax 6x7 ... but i quickly learned that its only practical value is in controlled situations such as studio portraits, long-exposure tri-pod work and the like. I shoot predominantly street and documentary work. I also have no intention of abandoning my RTS system.

Still would like to hear from folks who have installed Beatties in their 35mm ... come on ... i know you're out there!

If/when I end up installing one, I will post my impressions here (for future folks like moi)

Analog power!
    Last edited by pstake; 03-10-2012 at 11:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well ... the magnifier for my RTS is a bit cheaper than a new focus screen but it's more conspicuous than I'd like. I've looked into it before, used to use a magnifier on my Pentax 6x7 ... but i quickly learned that its only practical value is in controlled situations such as studio portraits, long-exposure tri-pod work and the like. I shoot predominantly street and documentary work. I also have no intention of abandoning my RTS system.

Still would like to hear from folks who have installed Beatties in their 35mm ... come on ... i know you're out there!

If/when I end up installing one, I will post my impressions here (for future folks like moi)

Analog power!
    I don't have a 35mm SLR with a Beattie screen, but I have one for my Mamiya C330F TLR. and it's two stops brighter than the standard one, the only disadvantage is for what it cost me when I bought it new I could buy another Mamiya TLR.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes ... they are pricey, Ben ... did the increased brightness make it easier to focus? Does your TLR use a waist-level finder? (forgive me if that's a stupid question; i've never used one)
    Last edited by pstake; 03-10-2012 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes ... they are pricey, Ben ... did the increased brightness make it easier to focus? Does your TLR use a waist-level finder? (forgive me if that's a stupid question; i've never used one)
    I have the waist-level finder, and the prism finder and it works equally well with either, but since I have used the camera successfully for about twenty five years with the three Mamiya screens I already own, and have become used to focusing with them, in retrospect although the Beattie is two stops brighter and easier to focus with in low light and it's great to use I could have put the £200 ($380 US D) to a better use.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin