Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,351   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they'd called their models something like "MOS Terminator XXX Super 5 Plus", placed labels such as "digitally activated GO Button" next to the shutter release and given them a plastic lens mount ("Technocomposite advanced mount" of course), they would have sold lots more...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Arrogance? - It is their camera and they can call it what they like, even Gerald - Hmmm, I like the idea of a Leitz digicam called Gerald

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it arrogant to keep their model numbers simple ? Other manufacturers make it to confusing often having different names in the US to the rest of the world.

At least with an M series Leica you know lenses are compatible with all models, they have the same basic layout of functions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6?

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Jim B.
    Now that's downright insulting!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't understand the question, the M line is a line differentiated by the M (as in mount) and number/letter. Did Leica say the M7 is the last film camera? Didn't they re-introduce the MP in 2003? I think their simplicity of naming is elegant
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am confused what the question is asking. M stands for the lens mount and the # for the camera in the series. Mixing analog and digital in the numbering series is okay with me and less confusing then say the numbering series of Canon and Nikon or even Olympus dslrs.

Most companies numbering system is at best confusing. Changing a model for the sake of change makes no sense. Imagine if in 1963, they change the Corvetter to Mako Shark as was bounced around; only a couple of years later the name and design would not mesh so, possibly forcing GM to rename the car, maybe Chevette or Vega and then a few years later something else. A total loss of the continuity of history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Arrogant? Leica? Naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

Jim B.

At least Nikon was sensible enough to create a D series for digital and leave the F series for film. You don't need to worry about the prefix determining lens mount as they all take the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Years ago I used an M60, it would blow any of the others mentioned away.

Walk softly and carry lots of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    If they'd called their models something like "MOS Terminator XXX Super 5 Plus", placed labels such as "digitally activated GO Button" next to the shutter release and given them a plastic lens mount ("Technocomposite advanced mount" of course), they would have sold lots more...
    Careful, you're going to offend some Canon guy
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Get a grip!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post

At least Nikon was sensible enough to create a D series for digital and leave the F series for film. You don't need to worry about the prefix determining lens mount as they all take the same.

Careful, you're going to offend some Canon guy
    The D is for dumb! Just kidding. I own a D and a bunch of F, and Leica M's, it gets worse with the budget models in both brands.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin