Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,628   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon F3: is this quite normal?

The second curtain of an F3 that I just received (no films shot yet, not by me at least) shows a small depression. Is this something to worry about? Or quite normal for an F3? I have no experience with these cameras at all. Thanks, Sander

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f3_shutter_curtain.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	47743

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not normal but it should still work normally.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about that at all unless it is obviously interfering with shutter operation.
    I've had a few Nikon F's that had a slightly more severe dent/crinkle with no ill effects.

Make sure you keep your thumbs away from the film gate anytime you have the back open to prevent this type of damage in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thumb print. Should be ok tho. My original F that I bought 45 years ago and well used at the time, had two sharper creases in the curtain, well, 45 years later, it is still working just fine, complete with the creases.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine looks a bit like that too, been working fine for the past ten years.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

I'll just add to what others have said - your new F3 appears to be just fine; it appears that someone has accidentally put their thumb against the shutter when inserting or removing film, though without actually doing any damage to the (Tougher than one would think!) shutter curtain.

Mine, too has got a mark like that - put there as I was loading the 2nd roll of film (as shot by me, that is) into it. Still works a charm, some 19 years and 650+ rolls later.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys, I've never asked a question here that got such a consistent set of replies! So that's really comforting.

"Thumb print", never heard that one before. I know cloth shutters and metal ones- the F3 seems to be somewhere in between (?): sort of kinkable, but looks breakable as well.

I *really* like my 'new' F3-non-HP. It feels incredibly tough, tougher than my EOS 1N even. This tactile aspect is more important than I'd be willing to admit to myself.

BTW, this F3 came as defective- not really, just the battery down to 0.08V, must have been in the closet for a while

Shooter
    35mm
    F3 shutter is titanium foil.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Along with it's predecessors, the F2 and F. They are in fact very durable, designed to last at least 150,000 frames.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hummm, that honestly looks like my old F3 I sold 5 years ago, same depression, same place. By any chance does it have a small dent on the top of the finder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin