Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,904   Online: 940

Shooter
    35mm RF

Zeiss 15mm F2.8 Distagon for Nikon and Canon just announced

I thought a few people might find this interesting.

There's a new lens available for your Nikon F or Canon EOS mount from Zeiss.
    They've just announced the Distagon 15mm F2.8 in both mounts.

You can order them through me at www.bigcameraworkshops.com. The cost is $2950.

Zeiss also has a new UV Filter in 95mm $317 and circular POL at $509 for the lens.
    I've attached the entire press release in case you're interested....

OBERKOCHEN, GERMANY – March 16, 2012 Carl Zeiss brings out a new super wide angle lens in May 2012.

The super wide angle Distagon T* 2,8/15 will be available with an EF (ZE) or F bayonet (ZF.2). With an extra-large angle of view of 110*degrees in combination with a fast f/2.8 aperture, the lens enables the features for dramatic perspectives and performance demanded by the most ambitious landscape and architectural photographers. With a unique ability to capture events in a natural and extraordinary manner, it is also an ideal companion for advertising, journalism and commercial photography.

Thanks to the extreme angle of view of the lens, the fore and background can be creatively emphasized in landscape and architecture photography. These applications will also benefit from the large depth-of-field, which provides a wide range of image sharpness from close-up up to infinity. With a close focus of 0.25m (10”) – combined with a wide angle view, photographers can work in tight spaces, while also allowing focus on close-up details. Distortion is extremely well controlled, producing naturally proportioned photographs which are not typical of many other super wide angle lenses. "With the Distagon T* 2,8/15, Carl Zeiss sets the standard in super wide angle photography," says Dr. Michael Pollmann, Consumer Lenses Program Manager in the Camera Lens Division of Carl Zeiss AG. "Even at full aperture it achieves outstanding detail rendition and opens up room for extremely imaginative design."

The Distagon T* 2,8/15 incorporates two aspheric lenses and special types of glass material with abnormal partial dispersion to provide an extraordinary correction of chromatic aberration. A floating elements design guarantees high image quality from close-focus through infinity. Like the other SLR lenses in the ZE and ZF.2 series, stray light and reflections are well controlled by the Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating and the sophisticated treatment of the lens element edges with special light absorbing paint.

The robust all-metal barrel of the Distagon T* 2,8/15 is designed for decades of reliable service. A long focus rotation and buttery-smooth action is perfect for photographers who want to take control of their picture making, as well as for filmmakers looking for superior focus control. A nine blade aperture provides a nearly circular opening, producing natural looking out of focus details.
    The lens shade is integrated into the design and helps to protect the lens surface from unintentional damage. The 95mm filter thread accepts all standard filters, including the recently released Carl Zeiss T* UV and POL filters.

The lens will begin shipping in May 2012 at a recommended retail price of $2,950 USD.

Technical data
    Focal length 15 mm
    Aperture range f/2.8 -22
    Number of lens elements/groups 15/12
    Focusing range: 0.25m – infinity
    Angular field** (diag./horiz./vert.) 110°/ 100°/ 76°
    Coverage at close range** 340 x 221 mm (close-up)
    Image ratio at close range 1:9 (close-up)
    Filter thread M95 x 1.0
    Length with caps 132 mm (ZF.2)
    135 mm (ZE)
    Diameter 103 mm (ZF.2)
    103 mm (ZE)
    Weight 730 g (ZF.2)
    820 g (ZE)
    Mounts ZF.2 (F bayonet)
    ZE (EF bayonet)
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I lost interest in the F-mount Zeiss lenses when they "updated" all of them to ZF.2 specs (which involved deleting the aperture coupling prong and adding electronic contacts). I bet the aperture ring will disappear next, despite its popularity with videographers.

Plus, Zeiss' petal-type lens hoods are ugly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. I've been thinking about the 18mm for some time. This may be a better option, but a fast 180-200mm is a more urgent priority at the moment.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    95mm front filters? What's wrong with rear filters?
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just wondering if it's the same optical scheme Zeiss used for the Leica R mount 15 2.8 a number of years ago (is it really "new".).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Leica R mount would have been a Leitz lens, not Zeiss. Contax could have had a comparable Zeiss lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Leica R mount would have been a Leitz lens, not Zeiss. Contax could have had a comparable Zeiss lens.
    Actually, Zeiss made the Leica R 15mm 3.5 for Leica.
    Though my question is now moot, since I now remember that the
    Leica R 15mm 2.8 was made by Schneider, not Zeiss, so the new Zeiss lens really is new.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My tongue is still on the floor because of the $$$.

Zeiss is not Leica, but they seem to want to be. Then again, perhaps this new lens simply really is that expensive to design/produce.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    My tongue is still on the floor because of the $$$.

Zeiss is not Leica, but they seem to want to be. Then again, perhaps this new lens simply really is that expensive to design/produce.
    That is about the going price for a used one in QBM or C/Y mount. I'd rather have new than used but to bad they don't make it in either C/Y or QBM. Why make it in mounts for cameras that already have plenty of 15mm or 16mm wide angle options from the camera manufacturer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This lens in the Canon mount is now in stock.
    -Rob
    www.rangefinderstore.com
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin