Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,083   Online: 984

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Focal 80-200 f/3.5 macro M42?

Does anyone know about this lens? It is a two-ringer (one for focus, one for zoom) and has a third ring for macro setting. I just came into possession of one that's in fabulous shape and I'm wondering how it might compare to my Pentax 85-210 f/4.5 Super Takumar M42.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hard to tell if this is the same lens or not, but I have Vivatar that matches in a T mount with both M 42 and Nikon adaptors. If it is the same lens under a differnt badge, I got mine in the 70s, average performer, really soft at 3.5. I also have a Super Tac zoom, much better lens but still not as good as primes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If your lens is what I am thinking it is, and I don't have one, but I do have another Focal brand 135mm lens. The Focal brand was sold by K-Mart in the 70s and 80s. K-Mart used to have quite an extensive photo department with even chemistry and paper in some stores but that's long gone. Anyway, the Focal lenses were re-badged versions of other lenses so I wouldn't be surprised to find it was the same as a Vivitar. They work OK but aren't stellar performers. But, then again, they didn't cost like stellar performers either. It certainly should be usable but the Pentax should be a much better lens. Depending on how you use it, the quality may not make much difference to you. My Focal 135mm works quite well, but I would agree that it is a bit soft - contrast is lower due to poor control of flare by the less expensive optics.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 03-19-2012 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Extra info I forgot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin