Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,422   Online: 1030
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Nikon F3 price?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    16

    Nikon F3 price?

    I'm shopping around online for a used Nikon F3, not sure if the one I've found is a good deal

    Nikon F3HP body - $124
    Condition is described as "Shows signs of moderate wear and/or usage."
    They do not have a picture of it

    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Ai - $134
    Condition is described as "May show signs of light wear and/or usage."

    I'm also watching an auction for a DW3 finder in excellent (near mint) condition - I would not wish to pay over $60, if it exceeds this price, I will purchase one from KEH. These seem to be hard to find.

    I must have cross-checked 4 different camera sites about 10 times and i still can't decide.

    I'm also considering a Nikon FE for $74. I'd love an F3 with WLF for candid shots, but the FE is smaller and cheaper with similar features. Everyone in the room seems to notice when I pick up my camera to take a photo, making it difficult to capture them naturally.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    888
    The body sounded good, the 50mm 1.8 AI sounded a little stiff, Fe sounded good also.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    16
    dehk, I thought so too. There's one selling on ebay for about $110 in similar condition.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0419.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	48222

    Not sure if the marks on the lens are scratches or just dust?

  4. #4
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Eralen View Post
    dehk, I thought so too. There's one selling on ebay for about $110 in similar condition.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0419.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	48222

    Not sure if the marks on the lens are scratches or just dust?
    Look like dust. To be honest if you're looking for a 50 1.8 Manual focus, Series E Nikkor 50 1.8 are actually absolutely good too, and probably cheaper. If you are a subscriber here you can post on WTB (want to buy) thread I am sure someone has one to sell here. I gave my other series E 50 1.8 away quite sometime ago, I got an extra AF 50 1.8, which I am pretty sure you don't want.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  5. #5
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Eralen View Post
    I'm shopping around online for a used Nikon F3, not sure if the one I've found is a good deal

    Nikon F3HP body - $124
    Condition is described as "Shows signs of moderate wear and/or usage."
    They do not have a picture of it

    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Ai - $134
    Condition is described as "May show signs of light wear and/or usage."

    I'm also watching an auction for a DW3 finder in excellent (near mint) condition - I would not wish to pay over $60, if it exceeds this price, I will purchase one from KEH. These seem to be hard to find.

    I must have cross-checked 4 different camera sites about 10 times and i still can't decide.

    I'm also considering a Nikon FE for $74. I'd love an F3 with WLF for candid shots, but the FE is smaller and cheaper with similar features. Everyone in the room seems to notice when I pick up my camera to take a photo, making it difficult to capture them naturally.

    What do you guys think?
    Forget the F3 as described. No pix=a deal breaker for me, always. Clean, low rollage F3 bodies are less common now. If you want one, wait and/or pay more. F3+DE2 kits are always cheaper than F3HP(DE3) kits. I have both and actually prefer the DE-2. YMMV.

    Too much for a 50/1.8Ai. The 50/1.8E is usually way less and just as good.

    The FE is very sweet. Often available in very nice shape since most were amateur-owned and saw relatively little use/abuse compared to the far pricier F3. Ever try shooting vertical with a WLF???

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    16
    Great advice. For some unknown reason, I was avoiding the E series lenses. Might have been some subconscious thing. I'll probably go for the FE and 50 1.8E. Extra features of the F3 would be nice but I don't really need them.

    Thanks guys!

  7. #7
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Eralen View Post
    Great advice. For some unknown reason, I was avoiding the E series lenses. Might have been some subconscious thing. I'll probably go for the FE and 50 1.8E. Extra features of the F3 would be nice but I don't really need them.

    Thanks guys!
    You will love the FE. I shoot that more than my F4, and I actually have a WLF on the F4.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  8. #8
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Eralen View Post
    Great advice. For some unknown reason, I was avoiding the E series lenses. Might have been some subconscious thing. I'll probably go for the FE and 50 1.8E. Extra features of the F3 would be nice but I don't really need them.

    Thanks guys!
    If you can find one, the 100/2.8E is killer. FE+50/1.8E+100/2.8E=a near-perfect flyweight kit.

  9. #9
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,026
    The E series lenses are nice, light and quite sharp. The 50mm 1.8 E matches very well with the smaller Nikons such as the FE. I had it in the past on a EM and boy was that a tiny package, also silky smooth film advance. The person who I have lent it to now who is learning really likes it as well.

    Smooth film advance on the F3 is very nice as well and is perk just like the EM. I got mine for about $70 but it was in pretty beat up brassed shape. Still worked though.

    You can techinally use it by taking off the prisim to get the waist level finder effect instead of purchasing the DW3. I also remember that there was a better magnified waist level attachment for more critical focusing and eye relief as there was a eyecup rest.

  10. #10
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    F3 is a nicer camera than the FE, but the latter is not a bad camera by any means. If it were me I'd get an F3 but would want to see it first.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin