Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Asahi Pentax AP Lens & Shutter Issue

I recently discovered my mother had an old Asahi Pentax AOC camera kept in a closet that she does not use anymore, it is also known as the Asahi Pentax AP or Original.

There are currently 2 problems with it.

1. It currently only has a Tokina telephoto lens on it and the original lens cannot be located.

2. The shutter and viewer is not working completely in synch, at least as far as I can tell. Currently, it has no film in it.

Q1: What type of lens (original type if possible) should I be seeking for this camera?

Q2: Is there somewhere I can get the shutter repaired in the United States?

Shooter
    35mm
    Q1: It uses M42 screw mount, also known as Pentax/Praktica screw mount. You can get a lot of lenses for this mount, as it was used for more than 50 years. Its original lens was probably one of 55mm Takumars, check Ebay, they should be quite cheap.

As for Q2, I have no idea, as I don't live in USA.
    Last edited by IronStar; 03-24-2012 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are probably several places you could send it for repair in the U.S. The best thing would be to find someone locally if you can, but sometimes that's not possible. KEH has a pretty good reputation and still repairs older cameras such as your Pentax, as far as I know. KEH is in Georgia. http://www.keh.com/Repair-Center.aspx

Like IronStar said, the original lens was probably the 55 1.8 Tak / SMC Takumar.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Like IronStar said, the original lens was probably the 55 1.8 Tak / SMC Takumar.
    I have one for sale on ebay right now. Unfortunately, it's being sold attached to a Pentax SP500... and as I'm in the UK you could probably buy a lens locally for the postage cost from here.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The original lens was most likely an early Auto-Takumar preset lens, most likely a 58mm 1:2.4, the Super and SMC Takumars weren't offered until later, and would likely have to be used in manual on your camera in any case. See here for examples:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/P...ollection.html
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 03-24-2012 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Originally advertised with a Takumar 55mm f2.2 lens. There were other historically correct lens available at that time and you can read about them at ASAHI OPTICAL HISTORICAL CLUB. You can also read more about it's many firsts at Pentax Original

Eric is the Pentax man Pentax Camera Service

BTW, does yours happen to be a black bodied original?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone for the answers.

I am very relieved to have found the original lens which was residing in a bag with 1 of 2 Ricoh cameras in one of the side lens compartments. It has the original lens cap as well.

It is a Takumar f2.2 lens, so Les Sarile was correct on what type of lens it had. Attached to one the Ricoh cameras was a SMC Pentax-A Zoom lens.

I would like to obtain the f1.8 apertured lens for this AP as well.

I looked at results on one of the major photographic image storage sites, and I am very impressed, so I think it is worth getting it repaired.

Les Sarile, if you mean the leather on the camera being black bodied, yes it is.

The camera looks in excellent condition cosmetically, the mirror has almost no dust on it when looking through the viewfinder when the sliding shutter closes fully.

Overall, I am happy to have found this camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well not only is the Takumar 55 f2.2 a historically correct lens to use with the Original but that 10 bladed 5 element lens is an excellent performer with beautiful bokeh.

I didn't mean the leather, I was referring to the body itself. My Original is a chrome and came with a brown leather case. I was wondering if yours is a chrome or black body.

BTW, that's a great find. As much as it really is a historical museum - setting the trend for what an SLR would look like for the next 30 years, it is actually a great user camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just so you know then, it is the chrome bodied type.

Is the black bodied camera more rare?

Shooter
    35mm
    According to Stephen Gandy, "Today any original Pentax is hard to find, but the black ones are especially rare."
    Of course getting one in usable condition is always better as I use mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin