Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,097   Online: 883

Shooter
    35mm

Salvaging a totally ruined Micro-Nikkor lens

Just picked up a kit today, basically a 55mm 2.8 Micro Nikkor was thrown in due to its rough shape. The lens has all kinds of dust on the inside, probably mixed with fungus and who knows what else. The aperture mechanism and ring work, but the focus ring is incredibly hard to turn.

Seeing as how this lens is already a total loss, it's only uphill from here! Any suggestions on solutions or methods to get this thing cleaned up? I'd guess the coatings are already shot, so all ideas welcome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, obviously you will have to take it apart and wet clean every elements. But if you find the fungus is sandwiched between 2 glued together elements, its toasted. Good luck.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Focus troubles with that particular lens are common. It needs to be disassembled and re-greased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://conradhoffman.com/MicroNikkor55.html

I came across the above a while back, can't say much more

Good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a little bit of research and it looks like an ammonia-based glass cleaner may work to clean the elements. I also saw carburetor cleaner mentioned in some thread (lol). Looks like it's off to the store for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin