Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,281   Posts: 1,681,132   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help.. Dropped my OM2

OK, so I was sitting down and talking while loading film. Last time I do that. Fumbled my OM2N while the back was open and it dropped onto the carpet from about knee level. It wasn't a long way to fall but it seems to have bent the door somewhere, now it doesn't close properly without a slight push upwards.

Am I OK to gently bend it the other way or is that going to wreck it further? This is my main camera, the one I bought from John @ camtech, so it'd be a real shame if I break it further.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My guess is a slight and careful bend back will probably cure. However, the door is removeable (to exchange for e.g. databacks) so if necessary just buy a beater and change the door. Its unlikely to be a damaged body.

My wife gives me hell when you leave the toilet seat up... so STOP leaving the toilet seat up!!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes... probably. But once you think you have it right load a roll of fast film and take the camera outside into bright mid-day sunlight. Hold the camera with the back to the sun at various angles. Don't take any photos but keep the lens cap on and advance the film a couple of frames. Process the film as usual and look for signs of light leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could look up KEH and get a beater there.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a beater OM-1 body I'll sell for cheap. The thing still shoots good, but the MLU doesn't work and the self timer set lever is missing.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum Aevum

“What is a master but a master student? And if that's true, then there's a responsibility on you to keep getting better and to explore avenues of your profession.”
    -Neal Peart-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. I didn't think about changing the door, I have a beater om1 here as well so I will try that and see how I get on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if this will be a concern in your case, but the pressure plate is different in the OM-1.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replace the back of the camera. Use a camera strap, this is what they are for.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Not sure if this will be a concern in your case, but the pressure plate is different in the OM-1.
    From what I have seen, only the very early , non-MD, OM1's.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Yeah I didn't have a strap on it but I am not sure it would have made any difference in this case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin