Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help.. Dropped my OM2

OK, so I was sitting down and talking while loading film. Last time I do that. Fumbled my OM2N while the back was open and it dropped onto the carpet from about knee level. It wasn't a long way to fall but it seems to have bent the door somewhere, now it doesn't close properly without a slight push upwards.

Am I OK to gently bend it the other way or is that going to wreck it further? This is my main camera, the one I bought from John @ camtech, so it'd be a real shame if I break it further.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My guess is a slight and careful bend back will probably cure. However, the door is removeable (to exchange for e.g. databacks) so if necessary just buy a beater and change the door. Its unlikely to be a damaged body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes... probably. But once you think you have it right load a roll of fast film and take the camera outside into bright mid-day sunlight. Hold the camera with the back to the sun at various angles. Don't take any photos but keep the lens cap on and advance the film a couple of frames. Process the film as usual and look for signs of light leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could look up KEH and get a beater there.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a beater OM-1 body I'll sell for cheap. The thing still shoots good, but the MLU doesn't work and the self timer set lever is missing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. I didn't think about changing the door, I have a beater om1 here as well so I will try that and see how I get on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if this will be a concern in your case, but the pressure plate is different in the OM-1.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replace the back of the camera. Use a camera strap, this is what they are for.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Not sure if this will be a concern in your case, but the pressure plate is different in the OM-1.
    From what I have seen, only the very early , non-MD, OM1's.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Yeah I didn't have a strap on it but I am not sure it would have made any difference in this case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin