Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,881   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure. Back in '86 I switched from Minolta AF to Canon FD. Around '92 I sold the FD and switched to the Olympus IS-1, dumped it and switched again to Canon EOS. About five or six years ago I switched from film to digital, then back to film, then acquired another set of Canon FD. Shoulda just stayed there. Still have my EOS, acquired and sold some Nikon gear, acquired some Minolta MD, Contax, and Mamiya gear, but FD is my main system, until I switch to LF...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Started with Minolta in the mid-90s and added Nikon in the late 90s. Shot both but put way more bodies, lenses and accessories on the Nikon pile before falling for medium format around 2006. Minolta MC/MD lenses are getting used more via adapters on M4/3s than on my old SRT 101. With 35mm gear is getting so cheap it's almost foolish not indulge yourself if it's affordable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have but, did not sell the other systems. My 1st was a pentax Spotmatic with an assortment of lenses. It replace a Kodak Pony, my 1st serious camera. I sold the Pentax as the money was needed for school.

Some years later, I picked up the Konica Autoreflex that was switchable between full and half frame. Loved the half frame and started collecting the Konica lenses and almost any half frame I could find. I loved the Bell & Howell 1/2 frame with wind up autowinder; so odd. Also, most Olympus 1/2 frames including complete F collections and then expanded to their full frame non-SLRs. About that time, I picked up an Exacta and switched to putting a system/collection together, the 1st since the Konica. At the time for some reason Exacta was thick on every camera stores' used shelf for really steep bargain prices. For $50, you could get a late body with wlf finder, metered prism, and something like a 35, 50 and 135 lens set that about that time was the norm.

My entire collection was traded for my current Bronica ETRS well eqiped system, a Minox ML and, LX systems. At the time thought a great deal considering my investment cost vs the then pricing of the Bronica alone. The complete system turnover was no big deal for me, though a few of my traded cameras I miss.

Since then, I added systems, Leica CL, Yashica FX-3, Rolleiflex, even a half frame and most recently back to my M42 beginnings with a Asahi S1a (pre-Spotmatic w/ no meter). I am preparing to trim down and think the Bronica will be the 1st to go and my last camera will be either the Leica or my Rolleiflex both of which I have a decent lineup of accessories. This selloff will hurt, though.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Without reading all the posts, I would recommend that if you need to change, and answer this question first, I would recommend you go for the most common system, which is Nikon - I type this as there is a plethora of bodies, lenses and fruit at very reasonable prices and the system is rugged and proven

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You definitely need to switch gear regularly. There's no better way to distract yourself from actually taking pictures.

If you DO stick with the same system for any period of time then you will HAVE to actually take pictures and possibly even deal with your mediocrity as a photographer. Then there's the whole self analysis thing that follows, 'am I good enough', 'are my pictures really that bad', 'why do I even bother' etc etc. NO ONE WANTS THAT. Keep swapping gear, testing, trying new things. The grass really is greener, or at least keep telling yourself that...

Olympus, Mamiya 645, Nikon, Canon FD, Yashica, Contax, Leica R, Mamiya RZ, Canon EF, Sinar, in chronological order, have all distracted me quite nicely. Oddly I'm back to using the Olympus and Mamiya 645 gear that I started with about 30 years ago, albeit adapted to Canon EF bodies. If only I'd been actually taking pictures the whole time, maybe I'd be half decent at it by now. Maybe.

Frankly, if I had your Olympus gear, and I do have the OM2n, 28/2 and 50/1.4 (and others), I'd keep it and use it.

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 03-25-2012 at 06:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only ever used to change systems when my camera got stolen, first it was a Cosina CSM (M42) then Canons (FD) that I bought a couple of low end Olympus to replace them with. I did not get on with it and sold them ending up buying early Pentax AF that I used for about 8-10 years. Since the dawn of digital I stupidly sold the Pentax to get a digi cam and then ended up getting a Canon FD again and a Cosina CSM for old times sake. I bought a few others as they were so cheep, I did not consider an Oly but we found an OM1 with a 50 1.4 for a bargain price so bought it. I wanted a 1.4 so thought I would try and get on with a camera I did not get on with, well I have bought 4 back up bodies and an OM2 it became my main system, I enjoyed it so much. I use the Canon as I have a 24mm that was bought for a mega bargain price. I would consider getting a low cost Canon to see if you like it as it may feel too alien to you, an AE1 can be had for little money these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always used Nikon for 35mm and never switched. The only thing I've done is add a Canon body specifically for one Canon lens (24mm TSE II).

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually.

I'm not going to switch anymore. OM gear is pricey but they're great cameras so I'm just going to stick with it. I have this problem for lusting for too many cameras, systems, formats, and fast glass!

If I do decide to switch, then I think it'd be wise idea to purchase an FD outfit first to ensure that I really do like the handling and lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with Olympus almost 30 years ago and never wanted to sell any of it. Just spend the money on Zuiko lenses. About $10,000 should get you going. Less than the price of a new car.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

What an embarrassing question. Who came up with this thing, any way? Oh, yeah. OK.

Well, the truthful answer is; "No." I mean that. I have never "switched." All I have ever done is add or supplement. Oh, I admit that there were some lines that I just chose not to follow, but even that changed at times. I started out with Minolta, and that has grown to an impressive listing. Then the Nikon stuff that I always wanted back in the 1960s was added. There has always been an interest in rangefinder cameras, so they have been around for a while. And the rangefinder type was what I started with originally. A few years back Medium Format was added. Then about four years ago, a Large Format view camera appeared. Recently I chose to do something for the young guy who is the closest thing I have to a kid brother who had a Canon F-1 system earlier, but it "disappeared." In an effort to rekindle his interest in film, I bought a modest Canon F-1 system for him. Foolish me; I played with the Canon F-1 for a while. Now I have one also. The M-42 stuff began with things people just gave to me.

There is one thing that I have somehow resisted so far. Back in the early 1960s, I remember looking at an Olympus Pen F. A nice small SLR camera with a mirror that swung sideways and the appearance of a rangefinder camera. I still have not done it. Yet.

Oh, there is an Olympus Pencorder here that uses 1/4 inch magnetic recording tape. Does that count?
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin