Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,492   Online: 1268

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    Anyone ever switch SLR systems?

Just curious and for what reasons?
    I switched SLR systems only once.

I started with an SLR camera that had an M42 screw mount and a bayonet mount (Miranda Sensorex). When the camera proved to be unreliable, I got rid of it and replaced it with an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic that used the M42 screw mount and a Nikon that used a bayonet mount.

I still use Pentax and Nikon cameras, however, the Nikon is the only one I developed into a system. I have a large inventory of lenses (14mm to 2000mm) and a variety of viewfinders, backs, motor drives, view screens, and other accessories for the Nikon. I only have three lenses (28, 50, and 135mm) for the Pentax.

Since the Pentax cameras and Nikon system have been meeting my needs for years, I will probably never switch SLR systems again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6095358701/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5595970877/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax Spotmatic 08 sml.JPG   Photo 071457 sml.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    The OP is in the process of collecting the best Zuiko lenses. Of course those will be more expensive, but not really any more expensive than the best FD lenses. OK, maybe a little more, but that's because so many are being used on Canon bodies.

Hmmmm....

What was the reasoning for switching, again?

I would recommend keeping the 28/2, selling the 35/2, pick up a 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 (black nosed, Made in Japan) and either the 90/2 or 100/2. Stop right there. Don't get anything more. That three lens kit is as good as the Leica equivalent. Some say better.

If you really want to bust the budget, get an OM-3Ti.
    Lots of great advice. I think my switching is a dumb idea but it was a thought I had yesterday morning.

The main reason is for me to save money so that I can better afford 35mm rangefinders. I prefer rangefinders but they're just so much more expensive. Truthfully, even if I did switch, I wouldn't really be saving that much money..maybe a few $100-$200 at most. I'm not going to switch. I'm just going to collect my lenses more slowly. I'll get the 50mm f1.4 next then a telephoto sometime in the future. Truthfully, I seldom feel a need to use a telephoto but I feel that it would be cool to have and play with.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    As a long term Olympus over as well as Leica user, I'd not quite rate that high but, do rank the Oly glass above Canon and Nikon.
    Off-topic, but let's not forget about Minolta/Rokkor as well. They also did their own glass and were significantly ahead of everyone else for quite a while.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A love my Canon FD system. Great system and great glass.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    pentax + 50mm and 28mm, everything else is LF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One Mantra: 'OM' till end of life.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, (for me) yes - from FD (full kit including a wonderful 300 f2.8) to EF.

Photography is my job, and unfortunately, d*****l overtook film as the method of delivery. Made sense to convert completely, however unlike some of my FD kit, the EF system had to be purchased brand new.

I do miss the FD kit I had, but managed to pick up a great original EOS-1 for my film (no 2nd body just yet), which has kept my 35mm film shooting sated.

Somebody got a great deal on an A1 and drive, Original F1 and drive, not to mention all the lenses. . . . . . . .but you never know, I might land a nice FD kit from an Op-Shop at some stage too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Off-topic, but let's not forget about Minolta/Rokkor as well. They also did their own glass and were significantly ahead of everyone else for quite a while.
    I've had two XD-11 and 2 X-700, whose Electronics have just died and nobody that I know can fix them. So, I'd say; if you choose Minolta; stick to the Mechanicals: SRT-101. SRT-200, SRT-201 and the like.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    I've had two XD-11 and 2 X-700, whose Electronics have just died and nobody that I know can fix them. So, I'd say; if you choose Minolta; stick to the Mechanicals: SRT-101. SRT-200, SRT-201 and the like.
    Personally, I just use their mechanicals. But have you had the simple stuff checked out on your X series? Capacitors?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    John Titterington in Kansas can fix 'em. He's done CLA's on 2 XD-11s for me (as well as some SRT cameras!!!) - he's the best Minolta Tech out there.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin