Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,692   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone ever switch SLR systems?

Just curious and for what reasons?

I'm thinking of switching to Canon FD system (from the OM system). Maybe it's a bad idea--not sure but my primary reason is because it's cheaper overall. Which glass is better? Who knows? My feeling is that they'll render images the similarly unless you're shooting to test.

I bought into the OM system because they are pretty and rangefinderesque. OM is probably the most rangefinderesque SLR but it's not a rangefinder, and I lust for my lenses! I'd stay in the system if the glass were cheap, but they aren't. Originally I thought I'd be happy with a 35mm f2 but then I got a 28mm f2 and now I want a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f2. I have no plans for digital so if I were to switch to FD now, then I can probably sell these lenses and my two OM2 bodies and have a complete suite of fast lenses (28/35/50/85) with two Canon F1 bodies.
    Last edited by puketronic; 03-25-2012 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sure! Every other day! I go from SLR to rangefinder to TLR and back again. Sort of like the old Murphy's Law variation: After things have gone from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.

With best regards.

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm all over the place. But my main systems are nikon F Olympus om and canon ef.

I never really thought too much about the fd system. I had a ftb my grandpa gave me that I don't use but keep around and two random fa bodies. The lenses used to be super cheap. Still kinda are now too.

You should keep your om system, the canon fd system would be geared more for bigger motor drives or for longer teles. Zuiko lenses are beautiful and you have a really nice fast kit going. I wish I can get more now but the prices on them are crazy. It's fun but a pain recollecting if you don't have a backup system to shoot on, you'll be hurting without that lens/focal length your used too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got rid of all my Canon FD gear and only have an OM system for 35mm these days. When all my 135 film is gone, I'll sell my Oly gear(soon).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not switched systems as such, started with Nikon in 67 and added a Pentax 645 and three lenses a couple of years ago. Both are good.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have done it quite a lot, but instead of selling one system and moving on to the next, I simplify my gear and each system has its different uses. I have a nice collection of the fast and rare Olympus OM lenses to go with my OM-4Ti, I have a nice set of the original Pre-Ai lenses for my Nikon F, and some Contax/Yashica lenses for my FX-3 Super. They each have their own purposes and character. I thought about the Canon FD, but it really doesn't do anything for me, if anything I'd pick up some Rokkor lenses and a Minolta before I went with any FD gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many times and for various reasons.

In most cases you can't simply state that "system X's lenses are better than system Y's": all systems have their stellar and much less stellar lenses and choosing individual lenses wisely is important (even in the case of Leica).

If I were starting again, I 'd probably choose Olympus as my travel kit, for its compact size, viewfinders and general philosophy (whereas Canon takes a very different approach).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax K to Nikon to Contax, and now went back to Nikon for the older 60's glass but kept the Contax for the modern Zeiss glass. I mostly switch for the glass being able myself to adapt to differing button placement and such but some swear by certain systems and ergonomics and that can be just as important.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nope... not in 35mm and not in MF either. Still working with either the same SLR equipment or the same brand I originally started with. Same with LF too. For all I've expanded a bit and retired one, but never abandoned any of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually...I'm thinking twice about switching. The OM system is a beautiful system...

Still, I like to hear your experiences XP.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin