Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,490   Online: 1019

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by diga View Post
    Here are my two Ricoh half frames. Still kicking.

Attachment 61520
    Never ever saw them before!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshambli View Post
    Looking up what BrianL was talking about, I discovered a 24x24 35mm format. Are these still around? That sounds really interesting.
    You overlooked Agfa's Karat and Rapid system. It took standard 35mm film in smaller cassettes, without protruding spool-hub. It gave the benifit of kind of drop-in loading.

When Kodak surprized the photographic world with their Instamatic system Agfa had to react overnight so to say by re-stablishing their late Karat system as Rapid system and crank out masses of brand new designed Rapid-cameras to conquer those Instamatics cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film graininess was still an issue back in the 1960s...so having to magnify the half frame image more, in order to make the same final print size, would magnify its grain size to be that much more visible.

In the film heyday, enthusiasts commonly lusted for medium format because of the reduction in grain as seen in the final print. So the success of a smaller format would be inherently more disadvantaged with that desire. We are spoiled by finer grain film today, where ISO 400 is virtually the same in visible grain as ISO 100 film...that was not true back then, and it didn't happen until about 1990 or so!

Back then there were 20 exposure rolls of film (and 36 exposure rolls), so 40 half frame exposures on a roll was not much different in toleration than a FF shooter using a 36 exposure roll. There were even 12 exposure rolls, so 24 half frame exposures was not much different than FF shooter with 20 exposure roll. So I don't buy the 'it took too long to shoot up a roll' argument as much of a factor to half frame demise.

I don't recall processing cost for the film itself, but about half the emulsion area should have allowed half of the film processing cost; the per print price would be virtually identical, of course. Of course, processing costs are not simply about depletion of the chemistry, as the labor costs are just as high to process a 36 exp roll of film as it is to process a 12 exposure roll of film.
    Last edited by wiltw; 12-22-2012 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    12 exposure rolls came about much later, unless they were available much earlier. When I started in 1979 or so they were 20 or 36 (I wish E6 films still were - my slide pages hold 20, and I have some Elitechrome 24 exposure I bought online, which means wasting 16 of 20 spaces in a slide page.) 12 and 24 both came about much later. But there might have been 12 back in the 60s or earlier; I don't know about that.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have a Pen-D, and also a Superhedz Golden Half which, though being a plastic camera with plastic lens, one shutter speed and two aperture settings makes nice little snapshot images. Because of its leaf shutter, it works nicely with a small flash unit attached to its side-mounted hotshoe. It's also rather nicely built for a plastic toy camera.

Due to its small size and light weight, I'm much more apt to take the Golden Half with me than the Oly Pen-D, despite the difference in lens quality, which I really don't see with 4x6 mini lab prints. And I'd rather break or lose a $40 plastic camera than a collector's camera like an Olympus half frame.

~Joe

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    12 exposure rolls came about much later, unless they were available much earlier. When I started in 1979 or so they were 20 or 36 (I wish E6 films still were - my slide pages hold 20, and I have some Elitechrome 24 exposure I bought online, which means wasting 16 of 20 spaces in a slide page.) 12 and 24 both came about much later. But there might have been 12 back in the 60s or earlier; I don't know about that.

The Karat/Rapid system I hinted at above had only a short strip of film. In case the appropriate camera exposed the 24x36mm format those films only gave 12 exposures (24 at 18x24).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I look forward to your results, Ian.

You should get a Minox and go to town. Quarter frame, or whatever they are...
    Quarter frame is massive compared to Minox

Getting back to the OP. Too bad half-frame died, but quarter frame is alive and well

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With regards to the Agfa Rapid cassettes, they also fit the Ansco Memo, which was a half-frame camera from the 1920s.

I had a very nice Pen FT. My favorite half-frame is the Agfa Optima_Parat. Excellent Solinar lens and accurate trap-needle exposure system.

I've shot a lot with this camera and have been very impressed with it.

Even so, I think the format has its limits when it comes to enlargements.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Why did half frame die?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Quarter frame is massive compared to Minox

Getting back to the OP. Too bad half-frame died, but quarter frame is alive and well
    Half frame, quarter frame.. It's all perspective... An 8x10 shooter would call a 6x7 a 1/8th frame and a 135 shooter a 1/25th frame shooter hehe (those were not mathematical just made up....protecting myself from the anal retentive "hey 35mm is only 1/20th man!" hehe

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Goid! Just didnt want to wait till I finished a roll to have it developed, When I startede doing my own, I bought my film in 100 ft rolls and loaded my cassets with 12 exp rolls

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin