Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,746   Online: 1098

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looking up what BrianL was talking about, I discovered a 24x24 35mm format. Are these still around? That sounds really interesting.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshambli View Post
    Looking up what BrianL was talking about, I discovered a 24x24 35mm format. Are these still around? That sounds really interesting.
    There were at least two I know of, the Robot and Robot Royal 24, both from Dusseldorf and the Heinz Kilfit square format SLR, a bit like a flimsy Contaflex with an even flimsier waist level finder and a body shape like the Ihagee Exacta, only the other way round

I used a RR24 in Germany in the early 1960s, but found getting other lenses for it difficult, it was also heavy but a camera I regret selling

John

Shooter
    35mm
    The comments about the poorer print quality are flat out wrong. Olympus proved this time and again in the '60's by making prints up to 16x20 from their "half" frames. They would challenge professionals to tell them apart from full frame prints, and they invariably failed to do so. As Olympus pointed out, the 4:3's format was closer to the aspect ratio of standard print sizes (5x7, 8x10, 16x20, etc). So there was less cropping and less enlarging required.

Certainly, some folks would find that 76 exposures on one roll was just too much. But the real answer is that Kodak killed the format. They refused to make a slide frame for it. And as others have pointed out, the processing equipment wasn't set up to handle it. I actually had a guy curse me out in the early '80's for bringing in a roll from my Pen FT. It is easy to see why. If this became the standard, film sales would have essentially been cut in half.

Now that I'm older, I will admit that it is much easier looking at a 36x24 tranny than a 24x18. What I wouldn't ive for a pair of young eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The idea that 1/2 frame cameras were made in post war Japan to save on film cost is incorrect. The Oly single frames were made beginning in 1959 and ran into the '80's. The Canon Demi and Konica Auto reflex weren't introduced until '65ish
    The only added cost in processing was for prints or the additional number of transparencies that had to be mounted. The 12 exposure film was marketed to realtors(see above) and not as short roll for 1/2 frame.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 04-04-2012 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm down to my last roll of film (Ektachrome 400/5074) and I'm only on frame 2!

It takes me several weeks to go through 36 exposures, when I'm not at some major event!!!

I normally have a 2 week turnaround after a major event.

Half-frame would mean having over 6+ mos of pictures on one roll!! I would rather have the pictures from one event on its own film.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12458 View Post

It takes me several weeks to go through 36 exposures, when I'm not at some major event!!!

Half-frame would mean having over 6+ mos of pictures on one roll!! I would rather have the pictures from one event on its own film.

-R
    Get out there and make more pix, keep film manufacturing alive!! - That goes for all of you!!

Then go to the darkroom and keep paper manufacturing alive!! - That goes for all of you!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12458 View Post

-R
    You could start bulk loading smaller rolls of film. Or just take GrumpyOldMan's suggestion of taking more pictures.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you think about commercial printing, the 4x6 prints are made from a long roll of 4 inch wide paper and full frame 24x36 negs travel a parallel path to the paper. You can't make a long roll of negatives with half frame and full frame mixed unless you want 3x4 prints for the Half frame . So you would have to print half frame on 6 inch wide paper which means you have to stock different sizes in glossy Matt and texture. You only run half frame some of the time and there is time consumed switching the machines over. You could run 828/126 film in the same setup as 35 mm
    no problem. 110 would not require a different width of paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Get out there and make more pix, keep film manufacturing alive!! - That goes for all of you!!

Then go to the darkroom and keep paper manufacturing alive!! - That goes for all of you!!
    Certainly its good to put a camera in your bag and then just walk with a load of film and photograph everything that pricks your eye. Until the builders came 2 wks ago I was averaging 10+ rolls a wk, I would walk from a train station to my university and as I can basically get off at 5 different stations......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
    Certainly its good to put a camera in your bag and then just walk with a load of film and photograph everything that pricks your eye. Until the builders came 2 wks ago I was averaging 10+ rolls a wk, I would walk from a train station to my university and as I can basically get off at 5 different stations......
    Hello, I have just had a look at your blog sites, which I like, and realise these documents will be valued later for more than their instant and eclectic qualities - They have also reinforced my desire to get a single frame camera, or just use my Retina, to get lots of pics and print whole rolls together by putting an entire film in my 10x8" DeVere and making 32x40" prints of the whole film in one go, as I have already suggested - Put them in with the Oh-So-Phuqing-Serious 10x8" work I do to lighten up my next exhibition, as I have already suggested

The Retina that Rae found for me in Bristol for 20 quid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto111018d932.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	49009

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin