Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,682   Online: 782

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    It is very hard to believe truth in the above. 18x24mm frame enlarged to 16"x21" print requires 22.6x enlargement factor; 24x36mm frame requires 16.9x enlargement for 16"x24" final print size...1.34x greater magnification. Most folks agree that 16"x20" (16X) was the practical quality limit to prints from 135 format due to magnitude of grain size on that print, at 16.9x , so why on earth would anyone believe that even greater magnification be indistinguishable in comparing half-frame to full 135?!

Here is a thread about preferences of 135 vs. 6x7 film prints, and that does make a difference at 16X http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...d-digital.html
    It would certainly have been odd for Olympus to produce half frame cameras for nearly 25 years, without responding to all those "experts" that were absolutely certain the quality of half frame couldn't compare to full frame.

http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/...graphy-p&b.pdf

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cuz it was only 1/2 as good
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must thank this thread for getting me back into 1/2 frame. I just got my Pen S repaired, and found a cheap Pen EE the other day. GAS will kick-in and I'll be looking for a 28mm enlarging lens now, I suppose ...
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format

Didn't die for me!

I don't know for sure why 35mm half frame cameras died, but I sure still like to use them. Have a Pen-EE, Agat, Mercury II, and my favorite, the Yashica Samurai X4.0. Not much is said about the Samurai cameras here, but they're a lot of fun, if you don't need a real compact camera. Styled like a video camera, the film runs vertically, giving the same viewing format as a full frame 35mm. Has lot's of modern camera features, like auto-focus, and film advance, power zoom (25-100mm,=35-140mm full frame). Other nice features, diopter adjustment, multiple shooting modes, both for flash and motor drive. Two unusual settings, are the auto shoot of 3 frames on self timer, and the quintuple exposure, where it shoots five exposures on one frame. This takes 1/4 sec. to preform so a tripod helps, but I've used it hand held for some interesting effects too. I've had this for about 15 years, and originally shot some color print film with it, because at the time the local (CA) labs were capable. Mostly I like to shoot B&W as I've always had a darkroom, and enjoy working in it. I use an Omega B-8 cold light enlarger, and have modified a spare 6X9 neg. carrier with card stock to print 4 exposures film strip style. I also found an original 1/2 frame neg. carrier for normal printing, using a 40mm lens. I know that a lot of formats were discontinued because of the film size itself. (127, 828) But like 120 film, which can be shot in various formats, I think it's a shame the 35mm half frames were discontinued. I suppose it's mostly a financial issue, because it was a non-professional format. The average person now shoots digital, not film anyway. It's all fun though!

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got a shipping notification from Goodwill on a Samurai X4.0. Your post has me all the more excited for it now. Can't effin' wait!!!
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are my two Ricoh half frames. Still kicking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050225.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	61520

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why did half frame die?

Quote Originally Posted by diga View Post
    Here are my two Ricoh half frames. Still kicking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050225.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	61520
    Oh wow! Those are terrific! I've been wanting to find one of those since I saw them in the Japanese photo mag Camera Life earlier this year. How's the quality of the lenses?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    It would certainly have been odd for Olympus to produce half frame cameras for nearly 25 years, without responding to all those "experts" that were absolutely certain the quality of half frame couldn't compare to full frame.

http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/...graphy-p&b.pdf
    Call me cynical, but I wonder if perhaps Olympus would have some sort of motivation to declare that their half frame cameras produced results as good as those of full frame cameras.

As to the question of why half frames disappeared, I would reckon that they were primarily aimed at amateur and snapshooters, many of whom probably got tired of having to work through 40 or more frames before they could see their pictures - coupled with the price of color films dropping since the 1960s, there was less reason to own a half frame camera. They never totally went away though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Just think...SIX Christmases on one roll!
    This is so true - I'd process films just before Christmas that would include the previous Christmas, Easter, umpteen birthdays and NY Celebrations; the 2 weeks before Christmas were often some of our busiest days for processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I took a pic of a donkey once with a half frame camera, the picture came out half...
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin