Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,771   Posts: 1,670,964   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    The Olympus XA and Contax TVS fit a few of those requirements

+1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Olympus Stylus Epic is very compact, and I've always been happy with the image quality. It is auto-everything, though. No control over exposure [although it does have a spot meter], or focus, and it does have a slight shutter lag. That said, it's very small, and the lens is good.

Olympus XA -- meets almost all the requirements, although I never really got on with one when I had it. I think I preferred the zone focusing XA2. I also preferred various classic 70s auto-exposure rangefinders - Konica C35, etc. The Olympus XA/XA2 are genuinely pocketable, though, in the way that most compact cameras that offer a high degree of control are not.

One that I've used that is worth looking at is the Rollei AFM35/Fuji Klasse. Fixed focal length, and manual focus is via a dial to set the distance, but it does almost everything else. Very accurate metering, aperture priority and program modes. High quality lens. I've gone away on a few trips with just the Rollei and had no complaints about the experience of using the camera as an only-camera, and the photos were consistently good.

My own pocket camera tends to either be the Rollei AFM, or, almost entirely in the other direction, a 6x4.5 Super Ikonta. All-manual, but the big negatives in a tiny package are very welcome.

I have a Hexar, and I really like it, but it is quite a bit larger than pocketable. Inside coat pocket, yes, but it's almost the same size as a Leica.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I think there was one of the last series of Minolta Maxxum slrs that was really small

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    I carry my Yashica GSN. Not the smallest, but has a great lens - always delivers.
    I second the Yashica as a carry camera. its light, accurate, and decently small. will it fit in a jacket pocket? yes but its gonna bulge. but considering all you need to do is take the lens cap off, thats a handy trade off. no fumbling with lens. however it is fixed focal length.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    APUG should charge for this sort of camera matchmaking--seriously.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My choices :

35mm > Minox35 or Leica III
    120:645 > a very old Rodenstock Citonette folder (2,9/75mm lens, compur shutter, dated 1932)
    120:6x9 > a SuperIkonta - well... bigger but still pocketable

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minolta 16ii meet's 1-6 and (no auto exposure).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    APUG should charge for this sort of camera matchmaking--seriously.
    I rarely agree with CGW.... but I do today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I rarely agree with CGW.... but I do today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Deeply gratified.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contax g2 is the only one I can think of that's small enough with autofocus.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin