Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,412   Online: 1122

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For people snap shots (especially in dark places like bars) I have had great luck with the Rollei Prego 90. I can fit it in the back pocket of my jeans. The Schneider lens is excellent and the point and shoot style with autofocus is quick and easy to use. The negative quality is amazing and the camera can be bought on the auction site for as little as $15. to $20. due to lack of demand.
    Here is a current listing:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollei-Prego...#ht_2591wt_936

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would highly reccomend a nikon N75 with a 50mm f1.8 or 28-85mm G (underrated lens btw).
    It is a little big for a pocket, but it is featherweight which makes it great for backpacking or long walks. The Canon EOS Rebel Ti is about the same.

There are many threads that discuss small cameras. Small is in right now. Heres a roundup:

Lightweight SLRs (as above) light but not small. Models also from Pentax Minolta. Dirt cheap, lenses may be compatable with your dslr. All the features you want, excellent image quality. No one will laugh at you for using film. (until you have to change the cartridge)

fixed lens rangefinders: vary in size and price. Generally metal and heavy. Will need CLA and compensation for adapted batteries. Great if you like vintage style and manual focus. Reccomend: Olympus 35RC or Canon QL17 GIII

Point-and-shoots: Go-anywhere all-weather cameras like the Olympus Stylus Epic and Yashica T4 are great, but no bargain. Single focal length lenses are better quality than zooms. AF only. (the earlier olympus stylus is a bargain though)

Others to look at: olympus XA, Rollei 35, Nikon L35AF. Contax G2 (if you have the cash)
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I think the Fuji Klasse/S/W would be the camera for you. Look it up.

Contax T, T2, and T3 come in a close second.

Personally, I went with the Olympus Stylus Epic. It's dirt cheap, the lens is great, and when I'm point-and-shooting I don't really care about manual controls, I'm just spontaneous. So it works. It's also so small! I had a Yashica T4D but I like the Olympus better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus XA
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually carry around Olympus XA2, as people in my country become quite nervous as soon as they see someone with SLR.

Shooter
    127 Format
    XA2 are great shoot-from-the-hip cameras. Just set the focus zone and click (almost silent). My complaint is the ratchety sounding film advance. That's a little loud.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to carry around an Olympus XA until it was stolen. The pictures were okay, but the lens displayed vignetting in the corners when shot wide open. Also the lens distortion in the corners made people look weird. The camera after that was a Nikon L35 that I simply loved. That was Nikon's first consumer point and shoot. It did what many other cameras didn't at the time. The photos that I took with that were amazing. I loved the fact that if I held the auto flash unit down that I'd get available light photos instead. I took one of the most memorable wedding pictures that I've taken using that method. Also it allowed filters and the ISO was changable whenever I wanted. I was able to change film midroll too.

I personally used to carry a Konica Hexar everywhere I went. It was large but it fit in my coat pocket. There were only a couple times I wished it had a longer lens, but for the most part 35mm f/2 was perfect. It was a toss-up between that camera and a Leica M and after side by side comparisons I chose the Konica because it really was more silent than the Leica and at the time there were reports of mechanical problems with the frame counter and other minor things with the Leica. I didn't want to deal with those. So, I used the Hexar up until 2008 when my wife gave me a digital p/s.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Contax g2 is the only one I can think of that's small enough with autofocus.
    +1

Shooter
    35mm
    My camera for this kind of situations is a Yashica T3.
    16-step autofocus, focus is lockable so you can focus anywhere, lock, and recompose. Range: 0.5m to infinite. No proper manual focus though.
    Auto exposure, no manual correction.
    Fixed lens length.

The good things:
    Very rugged I tell you;
    Very good Carl Zeiss T* lens, 35mm - f/2.8. Only problem is vignetting sometimes. For the rest, very very good. I've sold images taken with this camera.
    Vertical viewfinder (waist-level) besides the ordinary one, a rarity and something useful.
    Incorporated flash, can be excluded and can be "forced" for fill-in.
    Weatherproof.
    Auto loading of film. Very nice and working very well.
    Tripod thread and self-timer.
    DX code up to ISO 6400;
    Very small, really pocketable.
    Light meter has a range of LV 3 - 17 @ ISO 100.
    Intelligent lens cover, can be slided over the lens and it protects the lens and turns off the camera. You slide it off the lens and the camera is on. Lens always protected. No "protective" filters needed (which I don't use in any case).

The only thing I really miss is a manual override of auto exposure. I make do with a palm projecting a shadow on the camera in backlit situations.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Of all the cameras mentioned here I have experience with just one - the Olympus 35ECR. In one roll shot side by side with my Yashica Lynx IC, it did okay in comparison. (But then again the Lynx is one of my absolute favorite cameras ever.) I need to use it some more to get a better feel for it.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned is the Pentax PC35AF. Great little autofocus 35/f2.8 p&s, does seem to eat batteries though. Between it and the Olympus you'd have pretty much every feature in your list.

The Nikon 35Ti also looks like a great little package.
    Last edited by vincebodie; 04-28-2012 at 01:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin