Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,027   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

Every day companion camera

I am looking for a 35mm camera that I could take with me every day wherever my daily business takes me. I should be able to quickly pull it out whenever needed. It should be robust and small. Here are my requirements ordered by priority:

1. good image quality, no compromise here
    2. manual and autoexposure mode
    3. manual focus
    4. small
    5. robust (rugged body)
    6. not too expensive so I don't need to be too afraid to break it when I throw it in my backpack every morning, maybe around 500$?
    7. autofocus
    8. small zoom range would be nice, (like 35mm-70mm or something) if that doesn't mean a compromise in image quality

Could you suggest a camera that fulfills most, ideally all of the above requirements?
    Last edited by bonk; 04-04-2012 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Small enough to fit in a backpack, or a pocket?

Shooter
    35mm
    My wife and I both have used several different Olympus Stylus 35mm point-and-shoot cameras in that role. My favorite is the Stylus Epic (35mm f/2.8 lens) but I also like the Stylus 100 (28-100mm zoom lens). The models I am familiar with are weatherproof, the lenses are good, have a spot meter which gives you some control of the exposure, offer infinity lock, and several flash settings including no flash. Nice cameras. They are great travel companions; when we travel, the Stylus 100 comes with us no matter what other cameras we take.

EDIT - I see that your budget is higher than the above cameras by at least an order of magnitude... Maybe a Canon Rebel with a short zoom lens. The K2 is very light.
    Last edited by rthomas; 04-04-2012 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    Small enough to fit in a backpack, or a pocket?
    It does not have to fit in a pocket of my pants but maybe in the pocket of my jacket. It surely should be significantly smaller than an SLR.
    Last edited by bonk; 04-04-2012 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

EDIT - I see that your budget is higher than the above cameras by at least an order of magnitude... Maybe a Canon Rebel with a short zoom lens. The K2 is very light.
    The SLRs you mentioned are definitely to big.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Nikon FG+50/1.8E or 45/2.8 AiP for that--the smallest 35mm SLR Nikon made.

Not much knocking around in AF aside from the Stylus or little Rollei Prego 30 or Pregos with short zooms. Most weren't that robust and or as long-lived as SLRs.

Always the Konica Hexars, too.
    Last edited by CGW; 04-04-2012 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry my Yashica GSN. Not the smallest, but has a great lens - always delivers.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olympus XA and Contax TVS fit a few of those requirements
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    One that fills some of your requirements is the Nikon 35 or the 28 TI. Small, auto-exposure and manual, manual focus as well as AF. But it is a single focal lenght.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe a Contax G-2? It's kind of hard to fit everything into your requirments. You might have to comprimise somewhere.

I have a Canon A-1 with a 50mm 1.4 which I love and would fit most of your requirments. However, it's MF only.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin