Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,542   Online: 1187

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Canon portrait lens

Hi

I have been looking for a portrait lens for my Canon EOS camera for some time now. I have found three lenses what I would like your comments on.
    they cost about the same. If you have recommendations on other lenses I am open to them, but I primarily want comments on the lenses I mention below.

I am very keen on the first two, but thinks number 3 is too slow for my use.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten I'm not familiar with Canon gear but I'd look at the fist one. The F.8 will give you an amazing amount of room over the F2 and as you know the best portrait lenses aren't always the sharpest

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Morten, I use Nikon and I looooove my 85mm f/1.8.
    Cheryl (Jacobs) uses Canon and has the 85mm 1.8. I think, she could possibly give you some helpful info...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi

I have been looking for a portrait lens for my Canon EOS camera for some time now. I have found three lenses what I would like your comments on.
    they cost about the same. If you have recommendations on other lenses I am open to them, but I primarily want comments on the lenses I mention below.

I am very keen on the first two, but thinks number 3 is too slow for my use.

Morten
    Hmmm, tough choice. I would immediately jump on the 85 1.8, but the 100 will give you more of a distance to your subject and put them more at ease...

MMmmmm....I say the 100 f2. Forget the 2.8 (I use one for portraits and would love the 2.0)

Actually, I use the 80-200 2.8 L for portraits....So the 100 would be great IMO.
    David Savkovic

My home page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an 85mm f/1.4 that I just love for portraits, great focal Length and faster glass really helps with natural light.

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ...and i don't shoot Canon, but use a Minolta 85mm f/1,7 that i think is awesome. it is nice that it is fast enough to use in low light situations. i also have a 100mm f/2.5 and a 135mm f/2.8.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do shoot with Canons but I don't own any of the lenses you mention. I did own an 85/1.8 when I shot Nikons and it was a great focal length.

To really mix up the pot, have you considered the 135/2L? It's more expensive than the others but I've always wanted to try that lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had the Canon 85/1.8 and the 135/2. Both are terrific. I am busy saving for a Contax 85/1.4 now that I've switched, and while it's rarely used I'm quite fond of my Zeiss 90mm for the G.

For my total use, I got more mileage out of the 85mm.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recently tried out the 135 f2 and really liked it as well. If I were to buy one though I think it would be the 100mm. Just a little more versatile.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format

my main portrait lens...

...is the canon ef 50mm f1.8.
    Sharp,short minimum focal distance,and cheap(when I bought it 18months ago it cost me £80)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin