Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,907   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I finally purchased a Nikon L35AF in good condition. No need for a zoom, after all.

Thx for your comments everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Leica point and shoot cameras. Especially with 40 mm Summicron. I dont give japanese toyotas even to my enemy. You can find these Leicas for 60 or so dollars and they are the best ps cameras in the world as usual as SLR , DSLR and Rangefinder of Leica family.
    If you need zoom buy with Vario Elmar 35 70.
    +1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0222.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	49326
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have two Leica C1 P&S cameras and they are pure JUNK!

They were made with these little 'bubble' switches on the top circuit board and they collapse making the whole camera unusable.

The C2 and C3 appear to be made in the same fashion.

I have not found a way to have these switches repaired or replaced.

So just beware of this design and construction flaw with Leica P&S (or is it POS?) cameras.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax TVS is by far the best zoom point and shoot and they are surprisingly cheap. I paid $100 for mine a little over a year ago and that included filters and a hood. It has a great viewfinder, the zoom is manual, and the lens is top notch as you would expect from Zeiss (28-56mm). It has Program, Aperture priority, easy and quick exposure compensation and you can turn the flash off as a default. It also has threads for filters. It is far better than the Leica equivalent. Contax made the TVS, TVSII and TVSIII. All of them are good, but the TVS is the cheapest.

One of the downsides of the good point and shoots these days is they are starting to age. I have a Ricoh GR-1 that is phenomenal, but first the lcd went out then the shutter died. Those are two very common problems with it and it seems they all suffer maladies at some point. The Leica Minilux is another one that is unreliable now which is a shame because the lens on it is phenomenal as well. They all will suffer from a broken ribbon cable at some point though and then they are a paperweight. The two cameras that are seeming to last are the Contax T2/T3 and the Leica CM but they are going for a premium these days.

I personally don't like the "Tessar" point and shoots myself. Most cheaper cameras have Tessar type lenses. The Yashica T4 is a good example of this. I have had one for 20+ years and I consider it woefully adequate. It produces a lot of contrast but sharpness is lacking. If you look at files online or don't print the negs it is ok, but if you enlarge them they fall apart. I really don't see why they have a cult following, especially since there are much better cameras out there for the same money. The TVS I have blows the T4 out of the water; it is better built (titanium), it costs less and has a zoom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    The Contax TVS is by far the best zoom point and shoot and they are surprisingly cheap. I paid $100 for mine a little over a year ago and that included filters and a hood. It has a great viewfinder, the zoom is manual, and the lens is top notch as you would expect from Zeiss (28-56mm). It has Program, Aperture priority, easy and quick exposure compensation and you can turn the flash off as a default. It also has threads for filters. It is far better than the Leica equivalent. Contax made the TVS, TVSII and TVSIII. All of them are good, but the TVS is the cheapest.
    On e-Bay, the average price is between 250 and 1000$...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    On e-Bay, the average price is between 250 and 1000$...
    Wow. I guess I got lucky, although there were quite a few a little over $100 when I bought mine. Of course the good stuff has gone way up in the last year or so. Just take a look at Leica lenses. Yowza.

The L35AF is probably the best cheap one so you did well to buy it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Minox GT.. I agree, forget the zoom, it's trouble waiting for a repair that will likely never happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin