Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,507   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

P&S without Dx + decent zoom

As said in the title, is there an affordable p&s that someone could mention?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unlikely to find one. Affordable P&S usually means mediocre lens, and the longer the zoom the more they had to compromise image quality to get there. I can't think of any P&S without DX, apart from such single focal length cameras as the Canonet and Oly XA. Your best bet in that regard is to go here and play with your own DX coding.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Leica point and shoot cameras. Especially with 40 mm Summicron. I dont give japanese toyotas even to my enemy. You can find these Leicas for 60 or so dollars and they are the best ps cameras in the world as usual as SLR , DSLR and Rangefinder of Leica family.
    If you need zoom buy with Vario Elmar 35 70.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Leica point and shoot cameras. Especially with 40 mm Summicron. I dont give japanese toyotas even to my enemy. You can find these Leicas for 60 or so dollars and they are the best ps cameras in the world as usual as SLR , DSLR and Rangefinder of Leica family.
    If you need zoom buy with Vario Elmar 35 70.
    Leica p&s on e-Bay are just unaffordable.

I kind of miss the Ricoh AF-5 with its Rikenon 38mm lens. It was just perfect until the motorized mechanism crashed. I had purchased it for very cheap. Sad.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Leica p&s on e-Bay are just unaffordable.

I kind of miss the Ricoh AF-5 with its Rikenon 38mm lens. It was just perfect until the motorized mechanism crashed. I had purchased it for very cheap. Sad.
    Frankly, zooms are the Achilles' heel of these cameras. One whack when they're racked out and they're never the same--despite attempts at a fix.

Till it got stolen a couple of years ago, the Konica Big Mini with a fixed 35/3.5 was my fave p&s--just zoom with your feet. Hard to find now in clean working shape but worth a look. Most of these like the Yashica T4, Rollei Prego and other decent p&s cameras are in landfills. I use a Nikon FG now when I want a teensy film camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Frankly, zooms are the Achilles' heel of these cameras. One whack when they're racked out and they're never the same--despite attempts at a fix.

Till it got stolen a couple of years ago, the Konica Big Mini with a fixed 35/3.5 was my fave p&s--just zoom with your feet. Hard to find now in clean working shape but worth a look. Most of these like the Yashica T4, Rollei Prego and other decent p&s cameras are in landfills. I use a Nikon FG now when I want a teensy film camera.
    I should not have put an emphasis on the zoom in the OP. As a matter of fact, what matters to me is a compact camera with a decent lens having a focal lenght between 30 & 35mm. Also, I wish I find one model without the Dx code.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ricoh FF90/FF70 and FF3AF. Great lens with the choice of manual ISO or DX on the FF90, manual ISO on the FF3. Nikon L35AF and L35AF2. Canon AF35ML, AF35M (Sure Shot) AF35MII ("New" Sure Shot"). Pentax PC35AF(M). Canon MC. Konica MT11. Most or all of the first and second generation compact AF cameras did not use DX coding, and many of them have very good lenses. Most will max out at ISO 400, though, but a few will go to 800. The Ricoh that I mentioned will go to either 1600 or 3200, I can't recall off hand, and don't have any batteries in mine to check. By the time they got around to adding zoom lenses, DX coding was the norm, although I think that some of the later high-end compact zooms from Fuji and Contax allows you to set ISO manually, but I am too cheap to buy any of them. You may find some dual focal-length compacts with manual ISO as well.

My personal favorite is the little Canon MC, see this set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysca...7627875090433/

And a set from the Ricoh FF90:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysca...7626453678375/

from the FF3AF

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysca...7626946711421/

and from the Pentax

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysca...7629580160273/
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 04-09-2012 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just noticed the 35mm limit, scratch the Canons (except for the MC) from the list above, all the other examples have 35/2.8 lenses.
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 04-09-2012 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thank you all, especially elcabezagrande for his extensive review !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    thank you all, especially elcabezagrande for his extensive review !
    I bet that you could win this one with a low bid:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_672wt_1159

might be worth a chance for the price, even from a low-feedback seller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin