Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,733   Online: 807

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    "Baggies" is an American brand of plastic food storage bags. Google "Hefty Baggies" for examples.
    Now I understand.

Is the word used for any generic, sealable bag regardless of manufacturer in the same way as Hoover is used to describe any vacuum cleaner?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always leave the leader sticking out of the cassette. I was advised to do this forty years ago to make sure there was no light leakage through the felt in the light trap. Never had a problem with grit - keeping the camera clean helps! With PET films I put the used film back in the black canister to prevent light piping.

To answer the question - I bend the leader so that I can easily see that it is not new.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have separate pockets for exposed and unexposed rolls. It actually works.
    Besides, if you are not paying attention to what you are doing then you are screwed no matter how "bulletproof" your routine is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When I have exposed a 35mm film and rewound it, I tear off the leader, so there is no confusion with that and an unexposed film. Do others have a system to differentiate between exposed and unexposed 35mm film?
    Rewind the leader into the cassette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always leave out the leader of the 35mm for an easy self-development. To make the difference with an exposed 35mm film I am just folding a few times the leader of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Now I understand.

Is the word used for any generic, sealable bag regardless of manufacturer in the same way as Hoover is used to describe any vacuum cleaner?

Steve.

Yes, it is.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of my 35mm is bulk loaded. I load these into the usual plastic can, and affix a 1/2" wide piece of masking tape to the can lid to label what is in the can.

When the roll is done I fully rewind it, and take the tape off of the lid of the now empty can and put it across the cassette gate. I keep a 'Sharpie' fine tipped permanent marker in my camera bag for any special instructiion to number or add to the masking label in the field to allow for altered processing to suit the exposure conditions. The cans with no tape on the lid are by default, exposed.

I have tried different camera bag pockets, or a film drop bag on the camera bag strap, to separate fresh and expsosed films. These approaches did not work well enough for me to want to keep to those systems in use.

I use a leader retriever most often these days (about $6, freestlye). I think it helps the reload cans to keep their end crimps tight, and lets me reuse DX coded cans for the few cameras I have that use DX data. By pasting the tape across the cassette gate I am sure to notice it when it comes time to group films onto reels for common tank processing.

I have started to store the 120 and 220 films I take to shoot outside of my home/studio in 'extended' 35mm cans (I cut the bottom off of one, top off of another, and tape together with gaffer tape to fit the longer roll) I leave the foil pack on until I shoot the film, and then have a clean and grit free place to get the exposed roll home to the lab. The same masking labelling of the top works here.

I know this is crazy, but it works for me.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Rewind the leader into the cassette.
    Why? As leaving a bit of leader out, means I can cut this off and start loading the spiral in daylight.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    As an aside, why do Americans refer to a bag as a baggie? There are at least two examples of this in this thread (you usually leave letters out of words rather than add in extra letters!).Steve.
    Steve raises a very good point here, as I often think the language difference between US and Europe can be a bit confusing. For instance in my post about what makes a person photogenic, I got the distinct impression that the US meaning of this word is beautiful, but in England I understood this to be more like photographs well.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Many years ago I was on an assignment for a newspaper, three short appointments in the morning and one longer shooting in the afternoon, all black and white. Around lunchtime I had a portrait session, and I rewound the film, but not completely into the cartridge, but I remembered I had taken 21 shots. Then I used a color film and when I was ready I switched back to black and white.

I was in a hurry.

Just imagine what I forgot.

Since that day at the age of 21 I always wind the film completely back into the cartridge or use a felt pen immediately to write on the leader how many shots were used, but I try to avoid taking film out of the camera and in again.

If you think that it's hard to open the cartridges in the darkroom get a cartridge opener like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmpatronenoeffner.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	49255

or

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ilford-kassettenoeffner_32407.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	49256
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin