Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,419   Online: 1114

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Steve raises a very good point here, as I often think the language difference between US and Europe can be a bit confusing. For instance in my post about what makes a person photogenic, I got the distinct impression that the US meaning of this word is beautiful, but in England I understood this to be more like photographs well.

Yes. If someone is described as photogenic, they would be considered to look good in photographs... or photographs well as you put it. It's not limited to people though. A place can be photogenic too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    [QUOTE=cmo;1328206]Many years ago I was on an assignment for a newspaper, three short appointments in the morning and one longer shooting in the afternoon, all black and white. Around lunchtime I had a portrait session, and I rewound the film, but not completely into the cartridge, but I remembered I had taken 21 shots. Then I used a color film and when I was ready I switched back to black and white.

I was in a hurry.

Just imagine what I forgot.

Since that day at the age of 21 I always wind the film completely back into the cartridge or use a felt pen immediately to write on the leader how many shots were used, but I try to avoid taking film out of the camera and in again.

If you think that it's hard to open the cartridges in the darkroom get a cartridge opener like these:

Attachment 49255

Yes, but as previously said, leaving a bit of leader out, means I can cut this off and start loading the spiral in daylight without having to bother with a leader extractor.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Opening the 35mm cartridge:

For reusable snap-cap cartridges I usually just push the protruding end of the spool down on the table while holding the outer cylinder and the top pops off at the opposite end.

For crimped single-use cartridges, I used to use an ordinary bottle opener, until I got this serious German 35mm cartridge opener (see photo attached).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35mmOpener.jpg  
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rewind and leave the leader out. I then cut the leader off with scissors, put the film into a changing bag and pop the top, then load onto the spiral. I do it this way because I don't like having scissors in my changing bag, I cut the bag once and myself once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, when its done the leader will be inside the canister. if i am taking out in mid roll for some reason it will be marked.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Large Format
    I rewind all the way into the cassette.

While I'm out and about, I mark the outside of the cassette with a roll sequence number for the day, so that I can match it with my negative log later on. When I get home and complete the negative log, the roll is assigned a catalog number which is added to the cassette. Later, when I have enough rolls to develop, the catalog number ends up as well in a darkroom log where I record the "recipe" used for each developing run, so if there's any question about the resulting negatives I can always go back and determine how they were processed.

In the darkroom, I open the cassette with a simple bottle/can opener that I bought for 19 cents about 30 years ago - the most cost-effective investment I've ever made in photo gear. I think it might cost 49 cents if I needed to replace it today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't have a system
    i just rewind 35mm in the canister.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If the leader is still sticking out, I bend over the last 10mm of the leader so it has a defined crease in it. I then roll the leader back into the canister until the only thing sticking out is the crimped film.

Otherwise I just roll it in all the way (usually by mistake!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I make sure I wind the leader completely in the cassette so it's impossible to reload it then stick a red adhesive label on the cassette on which I write "Exposed" with a Sharpie then I put it back in the plastic case it came in.
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

X. Phot.
    The easiest way for me to tell them apart is that the unexposed rolls are the rolls going into the camera, and exposed rolls are the rolls being removed from the camera. So, to remember . . . it's IN = Unexposed, OUT = Exposed. Keeping rolls separated outside of the camera might present a challenge for some. In that scenario . . . the exposed film can be recognized by the images that form during development. You really shouldn't see those images with unexposed film . . . unless you left your camera unattended at the party.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin