Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,204   Online: 998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Instant Films

Nikon F3 and MD-4- Motor Works, But Will Not Auto Rewind

Nikon F3HP, Nikon MD-4 Motor Drive. I checked it before loading and shooting a roll of Tri-X. I had the orange dot set on the MD-4. Set the two switches, thought I rewound, and ended up exposing the film- it had not rewound. I did open it up without film in, released switch 1, slid switch 2 up- I can see the coupling spin. But for some reason, it is not engaging the film cannister. I can rewind manually, after releasing switch 1, but I'd love to automatically rewind. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arthur

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to be sure I understand, when you set the counter to count down and it hits "0" the film advance will stop. To rewind, you have to manually slide R1 to the left as this pushes the film release under the F3. Then you push the R2 up and this engages the rewind motor. This "automatically" rewinds the film back into the canister. This is as automatic as this gets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, if you have the MF18 back, it will rewind and leave the film leader out!

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As well Mick, the MF-6 and MF-6b do that too!

I think you need to check out the #2 switch, make sure it is fully up into the film chamber. If it is spinning, then it will rewind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes that is true, but with the MD18 you can get data written between the frames, either numerical or the date.

I don't use the MF18 that much, but it's fantastic when I do, you can be certain which roll was shot and when. Contrary to what the manuals say, you can run all of these backs that have a tongue out the bottom, without the drive attached.

Mick.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    All- The motor is spinning after pushing #2 up. The orange dot is set. I understand the switch sequence. The motor does spin. The motorized rewind is described in the manual as "automatic", which is why I referred to it that way. Fully aware of its limitations- just want the motor to rewind the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the body fully seated on the motor? Is the camera or motor new to you, or has all this worked well for you in the past?
    As you say, it's a fairly simple process. If it's not engaging the film spool, then it seems likely there is a gap between the motor and body, or something is blocking the upward travel of the shaft, or there there is some problem with the film spool that it can't reach the lug it's missing, etc.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks. I have had it for over 4 years now. Camera and motor drive work perfectly otherwise. Again, the motor in the drive is indeed going up, and spinning. This happens on each roll, so it is not a problem with the spool. I have had this with both TriX and HP4.

A

Shooter
    35mm
    This is just a thought, but if one of the rewind gears is stripped or otherwise unable to mesh properly, the fork might still spin without any resistance, fooling you into thinking it's working. But the resistance added from the film canister would be too much. I would think you'd hear some grinding or "dragging" if this was the case, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's been a while since I used an MD4 with an F3, but as I recall you can manually rewind the film. Push the release with your thumb and try the rewind crank - should work. I used manual rewind w/MD4 in cold weather to prevent static marks on the film.

I currently use F3 bodies but sans motor. Much less weight to pack around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin