Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,987   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zuiko 24mm

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zuiko 24mm

I got this lens on Yesterday and found something strange on the front element. I never experienced with fungus or haze so could not figure out what exactly I saw. Front element has root(cotton fibres) like structure which runs from top to bottom.

The previous owner has told that it has haze, additionally there is dent on filter mount. I do not know whether to keep this lens or sent it back.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cotton fibre-like sounds like one of the forms fungus can take.

I'd definitely send it back, unless you got it very cheaply and feel like removing and cleaning the front element yourself.
    Sometimes fungus cleans up well, sometimes it etches the glass its on...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds very much like fungus. I keep the lens away from any others you have and return it.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Cotton fibre-like sounds like one of the forms fungus can take.

I'd definitely send it back, unless you got it very cheaply and feel like removing and cleaning the front element yourself.
    Sometimes fungus cleans up well, sometimes it etches the glass its on...
    I have spend EUR 140 and I think I will send it back.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 140€ you can easily pick up a very nice 24mm OM Zuiko. Perhaps not the F2.0 and of course not the F3.5 Shift, but certainly a F2.8. I have one like that and love it. Paid 75 Pound Sterling for it two years ago.

Shooter
    35mm

f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Trasselblad View Post
    For 140€ you can easily pick up a very nice 24mm OM Zuiko. Perhaps not the F2.0 and of course not the F3.5 Shift, but certainly a F2.8. I have one like that and love it. Paid 75 Pound Sterling for it two years ago.
    I agree. I too have the f2.8 version and it is usefully smaller and lighter than the f2.0 with little loss in speed. It also performs very well. I find the extra stop of speed is only more useful with portrait lenses to introduce bokeh.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    I would choose om24/2.8 over om24/2.0, as it´s better in all aspects - sharpness, vignetting, CA, size, weight, price.. just be sure to pick newer version with MC coating

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by berraneck View Post
    I would choose om24/2.8 over om24/2.0, as it´s better in all aspects - sharpness, vignetting, CA, size, weight, price.. just be sure to pick newer version with MC coating
    I have owned the 24mm f 2.0 Zuiko for quite some time and I have never seen vignetting. The 24mm f2.8 Zuiko does not have floating element design for close focus correction but the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko does (and so do the other f2.0 Wide Angle Zuikos). The 24mm f2.8 has a simpler eight elements in seven groups construction while the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko has ten elements in eight groups. I would be skeptical that the f2.8 lens is "better in all aspects".
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    If it looks fibrous, it is growing fungus/mold. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I have owned the 24mm f 2.0 Zuiko for quite some time and I have never seen vignetting. The 24mm f2.8 Zuiko does not have floating element design for close focus correction but the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko does (and so do the other f2.0 Wide Angle Zuikos). The 24mm f2.8 has a simpler eight elements in seven groups construction while the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko has ten elements in eight groups. I would be skeptical that the f2.8 lens is "better in all aspects".
    I don´t doubt that 24/2 is a nice lens, but from my experience the late 24/2.8 is simply better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin