Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,228   Online: 760

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon Zoom 24 to 90mm or so for family snaps

I want to locate a decent Nikon "family zoom," which to me ranges from 24mm to around 90mm, not too expensive and not too massive. So I expect it to have variable aperture and probably won't go to f/2.8.

I had a 24-85 f/2.8-4 Macro that was pretty good but it was stolen. I'm thinking of getting another: it's pretty compact, about the right range, pretty decent macro feature, etc.

The only other one I know about is the 35-70 2.8 wh/I am also considering although I would prefer more on the wide end.

Would you recommend another one for this kind of snapshooting out and about w/ the family? I'm not familiar w/ older zooms or the newer zooms, except I had an 18-200 VR and it was not really good enough.

Thanks,

Jeff Glass
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 28-70/3.5-4.5 AFD is very sweet. On any of the later Nikon AF bodies with an SB24/25/28 flash, it's hard to beat for family p&s shooting. Usually affordable and not super-hard to find in good shape. There's also the pricier 28-105/3.5-4.5AFD. I've used both and prefer the 28-70.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I should say, I prefer no "G" lens bcs. I can't use it w/ a manual focus nikon (except at min aperture).
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I should say, I prefer no "G" lens bcs. I can't use it w/ a manual focus nikon (except at min aperture).
    Assuming you have an AF body? If not, N90s/F90x bodies are almost giveaway-priced now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do have an AF body, F100, which to me is one of the biggest bangs for the buck out there. But I also would like to use it on my FM and soon to have an FE or FM3a. I know that complicates but I'm also looking at this one which gets good reviews, nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 IF.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 24-70 f/2.8 is gorgeous on film, and the 24-120 f/4 is really nice too if you're cool with f/4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've no experience with the 24-85/2.8-4.

The 24-85/3.5-4.5G is a sweet lens. Too bad it's a G. It's sharp and lightweight.

The 24-120/3.5-5.6 is a fantastic lens for the money. A bit slow on the long end... but reasonable in size and weight. It does have fairly high distortion, which makes it unsuitable for certain types of photography (e.g. architecture)... but I find it to be a nice walking-around lens.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jeff
    i have a spotless24-85 f/8-4 afd for sale, and take any reasonable offer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    I do have an AF body, F100, which to me is one of the biggest bangs for the buck out there. But I also would like to use it on my FM and soon to have an FE or FM3a. I know that complicates but I'm also looking at this one which gets good reviews, nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5 IF.
    My only problem with the 28-105 was the 62mm filter size--the 28-70 is 52mm. The 24-120 takes a whopping 72mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I haven't monitored this . . . all these goofy zooms, I'm having a hard time keeping them straight and I really don't like zooms much at all. But I need something like this for the family snaps, right? Right?

Most of the suggestions above are G lenses, I believe except the 28-105 f/3.5 and the 24-85 afd, correct?

Anyway, Ralph, if I decide to pursue the 24-85 lens, I'll PM you about it. Care to share your evaluation of it?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin