Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 778

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Outstanding! How did you do this? Straight or use the backlight +1.5 button?

I went from owning one XA, to three! One is a parts camera in case the other two fail. I use them all the time! One has 50ASA the other 400. Such a joy of a camera!

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Amazing that you get very nice separation between the sky and the clouds, without using a filter.
    Baachitraka - That is the OP's (Kent) photograph! I wish it were mine! A heck of a photograph!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I still wonder how you manage to get the seperation between the sky and the clouds with XA + BW400CN?
    I'm not really sure, either. Maybe it was because the sky was broken and sunlight was starting to poke through. Also I was at a 90 degree angle to the sun. You can see on the other images that the sky is pretty much washed out. Here's a couple more XA shots that seem to show the separation fairly well:

[IMG] 18220031.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 18220029.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 18220024.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never liked the XA. I have a couple of XA-2s somewhere. The XA is an interesting camera with a good lens but I'd rather put up with the extra weight and carry an SLR. I'm less worried that it will break. If I must carry a smaller camera I would rather use a Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII or an Ollympus 35SP or even a Rollei 35. A neighbor bought an XA years ago, against my advice. She added insult to injury by buying from a not very reputable dealer. A few months later the camera was broken and she came to me for help in getting it fixed.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I like the XA. I have 2 plus an XA2.

I don't use them much, as the Stylus Epic is so darned handy, but they are fun and give cool photos.

And very quiet.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    I've never liked the XA. I have a couple of XA-2s somewhere. The XA is an interesting camera with a good lens but I'd rather put up with the extra weight and carry an SLR. I'm less worried that it will break. If I must carry a smaller camera I would rather use a Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII or an Ollympus 35SP or even a Rollei 35. A neighbor bought an XA years ago, against my advice. She added insult to injury by buying from a not very reputable dealer. A few months later the camera was broken and she came to me for help in getting it fixed.
    dynachrome, please elaborate on WHY you don't like the Olympus XA? (Other than wanting to carry a heavier SLR and having a neighbor who broke an XA). I have had 2 XA's and my brother has had a XA-2 over the past 30 or so years and have found them to be very robust with their clamshell lens cover. Personally, I like the control the XA gives me over my images. The XA-2 gives some control, but less, but is a great street photography film camera. Quiet, unobtrusive. I have also had an older stylus epic w 3.5 lens, and a newer Stylus Epic w 2.8 lens (MjuII). These are great Point and Shoot cameras with fantastic images but almost no control over exposure, other than film selection.

Regards,
    Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    Both the XA and XA2 are really cool little cameras but I have to say I prefer using my XA2. I find the focus lever on the XA difficult to get my finger on when I want to focus manually and easy to knock out of focus when I want to set it hyper-focally.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Outstanding pictures! I love my XA, I get great results from it, and it fits in my pocket!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice photos. Curious about "processed and scanned" only statement by the original poster. Most (except perhaps for the deer shot) appear to have been sharpened at least. Was the scan done by the processor? If so, they also sharpened. If done by the OP, probably he had some sharpening and perhaps curves set in the scanner - curves in the scanner could account for some of the sky separation I presume. Still, for no filters, it is certainly nice separation of sky and cloud. Not trying to drag this into a d* discussion, just curious.

Shooter
    35mm
    The issues I have with the XA are that in comparison with SLRs its somewhat delicate, that I like to have a little more control over exposure when I shoot and that as an RF camera (with no mirror box) close focusing is not practical. I like using a camera like the Canon F-1 with its 12 degree metering, its solid build and its ability to accept a macro lens. I have a nice collection of fixed lens RF cameras and they are all capable of excellent results under the right conditions. The older and larger cameras like the Konica Auto S1.6/Auto S2 and Minolta Hi-Matic 7S/9 seem more sturdy than the smaller ones like the Canonet QL17 GIII or Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII or Olympus 35RC. None of these would be as sturdy as a mechanical Nikkormat (FTN/FT2/FT3) and it's also a matter of what you like. The XA is an interesting and capable camera but not one of my favorites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BardParker View Post
    dynachrome, please elaborate on WHY you don't like the Olympus XA? (Other than wanting to carry a heavier SLR and having a neighbor who broke an XA). I have had 2 XA's and my brother has had a XA-2 over the past 30 or so years and have found them to be very robust with their clamshell lens cover. Personally, I like the control the XA gives me over my images. The XA-2 gives some control, but less, but is a great street photography film camera. Quiet, unobtrusive. I have also had an older stylus epic w 3.5 lens, and a newer Stylus Epic w 2.8 lens (MjuII). These are great Point and Shoot cameras with fantastic images but almost no control over exposure, other than film selection.

Regards,
    Kent
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin