Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,091   Online: 908

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    In this thread celebrating love for the Olympus XA, I don't understand someone coming here to pur it down or make comments about other cameras.

Would it not make more sense just to stay away? Or make a thread for the camera that you do love?

Just saying....
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the answer is a resounding no. Anyone who's spent a large amount of time visiting (or especially running) an internet forum would know, people that like the XYZ (or it's variants) are clearly uneducated dolts, with no taste or insite, into what a proper, usable widget is or should be. Duh. If they weren't so near sighted, smarter, or actually paid any attention to reality at all, they would be using ABC instead. It so obviously outperforms XYZ that it's comical. Even starving children in Africa are laughing about it.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BardParker View Post
    have found them to be very robust with their clamshell lens cover. Kent
    It's called a "sliding dust barrier". It has never been anything except a "sliding dust barrier". I'm kind of curious as to what kind of weird-ass clams you've seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    Nice photos. Curious about "processed and scanned" only statement by the original poster. Most (except perhaps for the deer shot) appear to have been sharpened at least. Was the scan done by the processor? If so, they also sharpened. If done by the OP, probably he had some sharpening and perhaps curves set in the scanner - curves in the scanner could account for some of the sky separation I presume. Still, for no filters, it is certainly nice separation of sky and cloud. Not trying to drag this into a d* discussion, just curious.
    No sharpening done by me. I just imported the CD images as straight scans into lightroom and exported them to flickr. I didn't request sharpening on my order. But I was curious, so I called Precision Camera in Austin, and spoke to the lab director who confirmed that, as a default, they DO use autosharpening on their high resolution Noritsu scanner. In any event, this was my first film processing order with Precision Camera, and I was very impressed with the quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No sharpening done by me. I just imported the CD images as straight scans into lightroom and exported them to flickr. I didn't request sharpening on my order. But I was curious, so I called Precision Camera in Austin, and spoke to the lab director who confirmed that, as a default, they DO use autosharpening on their high resolution Noritsu scanner. In any event, this was my first film processing order with Precision Camera, and I was very impressed with the quality.
    That's what I thought. You can easily tell by zooming in on the ridge line of the mountain - you'll see the telltale sign of sharpening by noticing that the sky pixels adjacent to the dark ridge pixels are brighter than the surrounding sky pixels. That's what sharpening does. Anyway, nice shots.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.928154,116.427981

Shooter
    35mm
    they DO use autosharpening on their high resolution Noritsu scanner.
    Without getting too involved in describing a d*****l process, scanning involves a slight loss in sharpness that needs to be corrected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Without getting too involved in describing a d*****l process, scanning involves a slight loss in sharpness that needs to be corrected.
    Of course. I'm not surprised. I only asked because the photo evidence contradicted the original poster's statement: "no digital manipulation except resizing." Sharpening is digital manipulation, and when evaluating the quality of a camera's images, it should be noted.

I'm not trying to raise a stink here, just wanted to clarify what I was seeing. I like the images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    It's called a "sliding dust barrier". It has never been anything except a "sliding dust barrier". I'm kind of curious as to what kind of weird-ass clams you've seen.
    Whatever... Next?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course. I'm not surprised. I only asked because the photo evidence contradicted the original poster's statement: "no digital manipulation except resizing." Sharpening is digital manipulation, and when evaluating the quality of a camera's images, it should be noted.

I'm not trying to raise a stink here, just wanted to clarify what I was seeing. I like the images.
    Thank you for your comments. I have no experience scanning my own film, and recently got back into film after about a 10 year hiatus, so I send it to professional labs. I did not realize they do autosharpening as a default. I appreciate your discerning eye in pointing this out. I simply meant that I did NO playing around in PS or LR with these images.

It was interesting to me that the little Olympus XA images compared very favorably with my medium format Pentax 645N. Here's a direct comparison:

18210025.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr
    Olympus XA, Kodak BW400CN

52260011.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr
    Pentax 645N, SMC FA 75mm lens, Kodak TriX

Regards,
    Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format

A link to a Magnum essay by Erich Hartmann, all done with an Olympus XA.

Nice photos. Curious about "processed and scanned" only statement by the original poster. Most (except perhaps for the deer shot) appear to have been sharpened at least. Was the scan done by the processor? If so, they also sharpened. If done by the OP, probably he had some sharpening and perhaps curves set in the scanner - curves in the scanner could account for some of the sky separation I presume. Still, for no filters, it is certainly nice separation of sky and cloud. Not trying to drag this into a d* discussion, just curious.
    I was doing some research and found this Magnum essay by Erich Hartmann.
    All done with an Olympus XA & they were done before Digital Existed...

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c.aspx?V...d=2K7O3R1VUF5N

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin