Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,007   Online: 746

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Did Canon make metal lens hoods for FD lenses?

I recently picked up an old Nikomat that came with a 50mm f1.4 and a very nice metal lens hood. This go me thinking, and a bit jealous; wishing that an equal caliber lens hood existed for my 50mm f/1.4 FD lens (55mm threads).

The one I currently have, a BS-55, is plastic and the mounting mechanism is very loose & unsatisfying. I have no faith in its ability to stay on the lens!

Did Canon make metal ones that attach strongly? Is there another brand or 3rd party maker that made something like this?

Just looking for a little guidance, thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    All my Canon FD hoods were plastic, but maybe they made metal ones in the earlier days. I have bought metal screwmount hoods inexpensively off eBay from Asia and India. The ones from Hong Kong were better made than the Indian ones, but there were some sizes from the Indian shop that weren't available from the Hong Kong dealers. There's another dealer on eBay--"Lim's" if I remember correctly--who sells aluminum hoods for some of the big Canon teles.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David,

I may well go that route; screwmount seems like the most trouble free solution.

However, the Nikon hood I mentioned has "quick release" buttons, which are very appealing. Would love to find those.. unfortunately they're 52mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes they did I have two a B.S.55 for the 50mm lens, and a B.W. 55 for the 35mm f2 but it must be about forty years since they were made.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I recently picked up an old Nikomat that came with a 50mm f1.4 and a very nice metal lens hood. This go me thinking, and a bit jealous; wishing that an equal caliber lens hood existed for my 50mm f/1.4 FD lens (55mm threads).

The one I currently have, a BS-55, is plastic and the mounting mechanism is very loose & unsatisfying. I have no faith in its ability to stay on the lens!

Did Canon make metal ones that attach strongly? Is there another brand or 3rd party maker that made something like this?

Just looking for a little guidance, thanks!
    All you do holmburger with loose FD hoods is dig out the old hard rubber "nubbies" with a small precision flat bladed screwdriver and make some more with some suitable hard black rubber that I cut into circles with a paper punch then cut the circles in half with a craft knife, and using epoxy resin adhesive holding the half circles with tweezers stick them in, I've done it with all my F.D. hoods from time to time, I hope this helps.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ben, I should probably do that. Mine doesn't even have nubbies, so that might explain a few things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not that I am aware of... I bought them in 1982 and they were plastic, and of a very high quality. Butterfly hood then for a 28mm and this was the early 1980's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both metal and plastic ones. The metal ones came with older FD lenses. If the metal ones are attached too well and get bumped hard enough they can bend. The plastic ones will either bounce back or crack but they will not bend unless heated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The plastic FD lens hoods are truly awful. Once the mounting mechanism wears out, the hood starts to rattle around and has to be re-tightened all the time. A real pain.

If you want a metal quick mount hood, there exist screw mount to quick mount adapters. You screw the adapter into the lens and leave it there, and then attach a lens hood to the adapter when necessary. I don't know how this interferes with filter use, I don't have one myself.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Not that I am aware of... I bought them in 1982 and they were plastic, and of a very high quality. Butterfly hood then for a 28mm and this was the early 1980's.
    If you had bought them about ten years earlier they would have been metal, it's about forty years since the metal ones were made.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin