Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Pentax ME Super, opinions, metering, lenses?

Alright, so I can snag a Pentax ME Super and 50mm from craiglist tonight for a good price, which I think I will do, but I wanted to get some information about this camera. I originally was going to get a second Nikon FE due to the awesome metering ability and compact size, but then I saw a ME and was blown away by the size.

Does it meter as well as the FE?
    How are the manual controls in real world shooting?
    How do the Pentax SMC lenses perform compared the the Nikon Ais lenses? I'm looking for a wideangle between 20-28mm to compliment the 50mm, so any recommendations will be helpful.

Trying to think if there's anything else...hmmm...oh, how does that Pancake 40mm 2.8 perform. Lordy would that be a small camera!

Thanks guys--been searching and found some useful info, but it's difficult to plow through so many assorted post.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It´s a good camera, i have one for the last 20 years, features a Aperture priority and manual modes, the lenses are good and some are amazing, 50mm 1,7 is one of the best optics i have used. I have never used the pancake but as a tessar clone you will have the related virtues and defects, used around f:8 should be fine... remember, other normal lenses (around 50mm) aren´t that big... and are way cheaper!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds solid. Glad to hear the 50mm 1.7 is a good lens. I think that is what it has on it. Haven't seen it yet. No word on metering or a wide angle?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never used an FE so I can't compare. My wife and I bought an ME Super new in 1982 and it was our all-purpose "family" camera for 23 years. It only broke down once (capacitor) when it was fairly new and was solidly dependable after that until 2005 when the light meter died. Now, as long as it has a battery it is essentially fully manual. I still love the feel and handling. It is surprising how small it is. The only part I never really liked was that the wheel for changing shooting modes was difficult to grip and use. But how often do you ever use that?

AP metering was always dead on and easy to use with the viewfinder shutter speed indicator lights along the right side. The viewfinder itself is bright and focusing is accurate and quick. In manual mode, shutter speed is easy to change with 2 buttons on the top moving the indicator light up and down. The only Pentax glass I ever had on it was the 50mm kit lens, f1.7 IIRC. It was always sharp right out to the edge, with no flare at all. You need to pay attention when loading the film to make sure it catches on the take-up reel. In those 23 years I messed that up less than 1/2 dozen times.

I shoot Minolta X-body now, but always get the urge to bite when one pops up. I am considering converting a body-cap to a pinhole lens and using it on a tripod with cable release, just because it deserves to get off the shelf and do some work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Awesome, thanks! I just got off the phone with the gal and it's got the 50mm 1.4, so that sounds promising. I recently began enlarging 35mm again and fell in love, so since most of my other 35mm cameras are being used as learning tools, I need something for myself. Sounds like I might have found my go-to camera afterall.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the best features of the ME Super, IMHO, is the viewfinder, which is really a joy to look throught: extremely bright and clear, it is superior to the one of my Nikon FE.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An ME Super also gave me decades of fantastic use. Meter is great! You'll love this camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ohhhh, glad to hear it. I'm figuring the 1.4 + nice viewfinder should be nice to use.

Any experiences with the SMC 20mm, 24mm, or 28mm lenses?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will admit to occasionally taking it off the display shelf and pointing it out the window and around the room, dry firing, just because it feels so good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    double post
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin