Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Which filters are for me? A question of size, I think.

Hey there! So, for all intents and purposes my 35mm kit (all Nikon/Nikkor) consists entirely of 52mm filter thread. Now, I also shoot LF with a variety of old lenses that have thread bigger than 52 (but probably not anywhere near 77mm).

I want to get the biggest filters I would plausibly use and use a step-up ring on my Nikons, but because filter size = money, I want to know what size I should get... Plus, a 52mm lens with a 77mm filter/hood would be somewhat clumsy, I think.

58? 67? 77? Go ahead and buy 52s??

What sizes do y'all use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use 52mm set for my nikon mf system, and a cokin system for medium format and large format since those are usually used on a tripod. I have a couple of screw on filters for my GW690 since i use that hand held and the cokin system is a little clumsy hand held.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have filters of the appropriate size for each lens. I have a fortune in filters that I rarely use. If I were going to do it again I'd buy fewer filters but still have the "right size" for each lens. If 67mm meets your needs, however, they seem to be easily avaiable on the usedmarket and may be cheaper than some of the others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a set of 77mm one because most of my lenses are on larger side and up to 77mm. I do have 52mm but I do not use filters with these.

If you get 77mm kind, I doubt you could actually use hood that comes with 52mm lenses. With my 67mm lens with hood, 77mm filters are very tight fit.

52mm version of filters are not that expensive. If you say most of all of your lenses are 52mm, I'd just go ahead and get a set. For your LF use, I might consider getting 77mm set and use reducers to give you maximum flexibility in future.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a completely personal choice...

It depends entirely on which lenses you have and use.

I've tried to optimise the filters for my own lenses (a fair number of brands and formats) without much success...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check out the Lee filter system. They are square filters that fit a holder that connects to adapters that will screw into lenses of different sizes. You can have one set of filters and the holder plus several adapters. Personally I have a couple of sets of filters; one for one format and one for the other format lenses as well as the Lee holder and an adapter which I learned about after the fact. I'm sure they are available at B&H and other photographic supply houses.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great answers, y'all, thanks! Does anyone have any knowledge/opinion of those cheap Indian sets on the 'bay? It's around $45 for a 28-piece filter kit for 52mm (and around $120 for 77mm...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No first hand knowledge of such filters but....

We spend lots of money for the best quality lenses and stress over every aspect of the images we create. It makes no sense to me to put something of unknown quality in front of it. If you are talking about B&W contrast filters, you really need a set of 4.

Yellow, orange, red, and green.

If you have to save money, you might want to get lower end of Hoya or Tiffen. I have no idea where they are made but they are of a known quality. My approach would be to buy a high quality filter but buy just a few to start. That way, I won't be buying anything that I'd have to upgrade in the future. Personal preference, of course.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you're right, Kamiya. At this point I really only need yellow, UV, ND and a polarizer I think. I'll probably go that route.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interestingly I've found, despite great pessimism, many of the Indian knock-off products to be surprisingly functional. But I would not spend money trying out their filters without first seeing them. They may be very good, but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin