Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,106   Online: 986

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendewesz View Post
    Oh, I didn't knew that. Well it looks like I'm going to do some macro shots haha.

One more question: is there a problem with compatibility with any of the M42 lenses? I'd like to buy one next week but now I'm afraid I will encounter same problem.

Thank you very much for your answer.
    There are some M42 lenses which won't mount properly on a Spotmatic F: as it is designed to allow full-aperture metering with the proper lenses, some lenses will catch on the aperture cam and won't screw in completely.
    In my experience these are often German lenses (IIRC, some Zeiss Jena and Meyer samples).
    It's likely that some M42 lenses of other brands designed for full-aperture metering might not work either (Fujica, Mamiya?).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    UnfortunAtely I don't live in USA and 70$ is way above my budget for this camera. I guess I'll return it and try to find working one...

Bummer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These cameras are old, and it's not unlikely that the next Spotmatic you buy, also is in need of some attention. Sometimes it's just replacement of seals and mirror bumper, but often they need a good CLA. I can recommend http://pentaxs.com/.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Turns out camera is perfectly fine, the problem was the m39-m42 adapter which was screwed too strong and was blocking the mirror from falling down. I loosen it up little bit and it works perfectly now.

Thank you guys for all your help, much appreciated!

Nice buy for 20 dollars huh.
    Last edited by Mendewesz; 04-19-2012 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    There are some M42 lenses which won't mount properly on a Spotmatic F: as it is designed to allow full-aperture metering with the proper lenses, some lenses will catch on the aperture cam and won't screw in completely.
    In my experience these are often German lenses (IIRC, some Zeiss Jena and Meyer samples).
    It's likely that some M42 lenses of other brands designed for full-aperture metering might not work either (Fujica, Mamiya?).
    I used a few CZJ lenses with my Spotmatic F with no issues and I never heard of one either.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely look on eBay or in your local camera shop, if you have one, for M42 lenses. I've been able to find used ones rather inexpensively, since they were somewhat of an SLR lens mount for a couple of decades and they were made by many different makers. And as Ian said, the Takumar SMC (Super Multi Coated) lenses are especially nice.

Before last year, we had a large antique mall in town that had a couple of booths filled with cameras, most of them junk, and a few lenses. I had mixed luck with the cameras I scavenged there, but it was easy to identify the M42 lenses because they're screw mount, instead of bayonets that all look the same to the untrained eye. In our local camera shop, I've been able to get M42s rather cheap because it's the Nikon, Canon FD, and Pentax K-mount lenses that fetch the higher prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I used a few CZJ lenses with my Spotmatic F with no issues and I never heard of one either.

Ian
    IIRC (haven't had a Spotmatic F for a few years now), the CZJ 25mm and the Meyer 100mm wouldn't screw in properly.
    I think also another lens or two also had problems (CZJ 200 2.8? Pentacon 200 electric?)

The same problems applied to the ES and ESII cameras.

No problem at all with a classic Spotmatic body,
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 04-19-2012 at 06:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Meyer 50/1.8 that will screw in and work fine on my Spotmatic F, but won't unscrew. To get it off I need to set the lens to f16, push in the DOF preview button on the lens and point the camera straight down so the aperture actuator pin will slide further into the lens body to allow it to be unscrewed.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm searching for lenses that I could use with the spotmatic F and my canon 600d with adapter, both to have good results.

So the only lenses that are fully compatible are the SMC Taruman? Does anyone know how are they with never cameras?

And i can't use any Pentacon or Carl Zeiss? Or if I can, only with stop down metering?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendewesz View Post
    I'm searching for lenses that I could use with the spotmatic F and my canon 600d with adapter, both to have good results.

So the only lenses that are fully compatible are the SMC Taruman? Does anyone know how are they with never cameras?

And i can't use any Pentacon or Carl Zeiss? Or if I can, only with stop down metering?
    Fully compatible with your Spotmatic F in the sense of allowing full-aperture metering (as opposed to stop-down), then the appropriate *Takumar* lenses designed for that are needed.

*Most* other M42 lenses (including CZJ and Pentacon) will work in stop-down mode on your Spotmatic F, though, as previously mentioned, there are a few which won't mount properly - you need to try them (or better, ask) on a case by case basis.

AFAIK, there should be no problem using any M42 lens with a Canon EF adapter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin